removing cylinder head on 2016 chevy equinox 2.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icu1954

Reaction score
i am on the verge of removing the cylinder head on my wifes 2016 chevy equinox.I wanted to know if i could just un bolt the intake manifold from the head and lift it off the engine.I am getting old and don,t need the extra work load if not need be.Thanks for your input.

superd

Reaction score
I have a 2013 and removed the head. You have a few components that need to be removed first. Intake manifold, timing chain, fuel injector rail and some wiring harness brackets. I did leave the exhaust manifold attached, disconnecting the 3 bolt flange to the catalytic converter. I had a broken timing chain guide and knew it was likely that I had valve damage. Here's what I got now...lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220614_182228.jpg
    IMG_20220614_182228.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 10

comp

Reaction score
I have a 2013 and removed the head. You have a few components that need to be removed first. Intake manifold, timing chain, fuel injector rail and some wiring harness brackets. I did leave the exhaust manifold attached, disconnecting the 3 bolt flange to the catalytic converter. I had a broken timing chain guide and knew it was likely that I had valve damage. Here's what I got now...lol
that cyl. head is very clean,,,,is it the new one ? is yours direct injected?

superd

Reaction score
Thank you....I cleaned it. It is direct injected and it had heavy carbon buildup. Brakeclean, degreaser and scotch Brite pads cleaned it up pretty well..

comp

Reaction score
Thank you....I cleaned it. It is direct injected and it had heavy carbon buildup. Brakeclean, degreaser and scotch Brite pads cleaned it up pretty well..
had you been using DI cleaner before the tare-down ? Im about to spray the intake to clean the intake valves, i do add Lucas every 3rd tank ,5-6oz,,,Im at 69k have done one trans drain and refill,,it came out like black water.. After doing trans it is shifting better. after i spray intakes ill change plugs...I have been lucky mine doesnt use a drop of oil between oil changes

superd

Reaction score
I didn't use any DI cleaner on a regular basis. I wasn't aware of the amount of carbon buildup until I removed the intake manifold. A leak down test confirmed compression loss in cylinder one. After removing the head and cleaning it, I removed the rockers, springs and valves. I replaced all 8 exhaust valves, they were pretty bad. I then ported and polished the intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers. I lapped the valves which went okay, but I still had leakage in cylinder one. I am trying my best to not go to a machine shop. I ordered 4 new intake valves which should be here tomorrow. In the meantime I pulled the CAT, and removed the waterpump & thermostat to install new ones. Hopefully the new intake valves will seat correctly and I can start putting everything back together.

comp

Reaction score
I didn't use any DI cleaner on a regular basis. I wasn't aware of the amount of carbon buildup until I removed the intake manifold. A leak down test confirmed compression loss in cylinder one. After removing the head and cleaning it, I removed the rockers, springs and valves. I replaced all 8 exhaust valves, they were pretty bad. I then ported and polished the intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers. I lapped the valves which went okay, but I still had leakage in cylinder one. I am trying my best to not go to a machine shop. I ordered 4 new intake valves which should be here tomorrow. In the meantime I pulled the CAT, and removed the waterpump & thermostat to install new ones. Hopefully the new intake valves will seat correctly and I can start putting everything back together.
did you lap them in ,,with course then fine compound ? how did your timing chain and guides look ?? how much work are in looking at to pull the intake manifold to inspect my cleaning job ? im 63 with a bad back so a 2-3 hour job can take alot longer lol

superd

Reaction score
did you lap them in ,,with course then fine compound ? how did your timing chain and guides look ?? how much work are in looking at to pull the intake manifold to inspect my cleaning job ? im 63 with a bad back so a 2-3 hour job can take alot longer lol
Lol....your timetable sounds like mine...Yes, I've lapped them in. The paste I bought is multi-grit...add a couple drops of water in....I've had some valves still leaking slightly, so that's slowed my down. Think I've almost got them...just a couple exhaust valves slow dripping... they're brand new, so I think more lapping should seat them. Then...into installing the springs and keepers...haha ...ya

superd

Reaction score
Pulling the intake isn't bad, If I remember I think you just have to pull the throttle body first. It's plastic so it's not heavy like the exhaust.

comp

Reaction score
Lol....your timetable sounds like mine...Yes, I've lapped them in. The paste I bought is multi-grit...add a couple drops of water in....I've had some valves still leaking slightly, so that's slowed my down. Think I've almost got them...just a couple exhaust valves slow dripping... they're brand new, so I think more lapping should seat them. Then...into installing the springs and keepers...haha ...ya
tap them lightly with a plastic head hammer,,its like them running,,,you can use permanent marker and snap them shut with your hands without springs to see the pattern to

comp

Reaction score
do i just pull up on the top cover to get to intake ,,,may clean/fog the intake later?? thinking do it drive a few days with highway mile fog again,,change plugs and oil,,,im at 69455 now,,,,the trans fluid drain and refill has help, not as many done shifts on cruze.. i have gained .75 mpg from that

superd

Reaction score
Ya, and there may be a wiring harness clip you'll need to remove. There's also an insulated cover that wraps around the manifold. Once you get the manifold off, there is a little hole in the port side of the manifold that is probably clogged with carbon buildup, I cleaned it out and drilled the hole just slightly bigger. I'm also adding a catch can, which is supposed to help.

comp

Reaction score
Ya, and there may be a wiring harness clip you'll need to remove. There's also an insulated cover that wraps around the manifold. Once you get the manifold off, there is a little hole in the port side of the manifold that is probably clogged with carbon buildup, I cleaned it out and drilled the hole just slightly bigger. I'm also adding a catch can, which is supposed to help.
thanks,,how much porting did you do?? you work the guide bosss ? any before after pics ?

superd

Reaction score
I was conservative with my porting, I found this guy to be an excellent instructor...very valuable and knowledgeable, gave me the confidence to do what I've never done before. He has several videos on valvetrain issues.

comp

Reaction score
I should have but didn't take before and afters
if you did that much work You will DEF. pick up a few ponys ,,,it have sprayed my intakes with one can so far,,it does feel better of idle ,to bottom end pulls better

superd

Reaction score
I do hope so, I just got the valve springs and keepers on last night....cleaning up the cams a bit, some scoring on the camshaft besrings .Getting closer...

comp

Reaction score
checking in on progress? i have "fogged" my intakes 3 times so far,,sprayed about a can and a half of the seafoam spray..I can tell the low end torque is better from 1200 to 2000k rpm.. i plan to finish 2nd half can then drive a couple days and do a 3rd with CRC,, i kinda expected a code to pop up but hasnt ,,,Any ideas out there????

Members online