regular unleaded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtochev

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2019 equinox premier 2LT. The recommended gas is premium, however the sale's person told me regular unleaded works fine? Anyone here using regular on their 2LT?

dpoe84

Reaction score
I have a 2018 with the 2.0 and it says premium recommended but I rarely use it. With other cars I have had that said the same thing it just lowers HP a bit and I haven't noticed anything different running regular as opposed to premium.

Cliff

Reaction score
I am really shocked that many of the new turbo engines from the various OEM's are not flex fuel rated. E85 has a 100 octane rating and I buy it for about $1.72 a gallon. I have no turbo gas engines, but all my vehicles are flex fuel and all of them are using E85 exclusively. Ethanol is used in many race cars.

Cliff

Reaction score
One really should consider running the recommended premium fuel. One problem that has developed with many high compression, direct injection engines is LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition). Especaily so in turbo models. It is one of the reasons that dexos1 Gen 2 oil was developed, why the current API spec is SN+, and why ILSAC GF-6 is due out this next spring. All in an attempt to help mitigate LSPI. The ECM can dial back the timing also to try and prevent it, but that does not always do the trick. The only way to mitigate the problem is to run a higher octane fuel.

LSPI is similar to knock, but on a micro level that the vehicle owner may not be able to detect. You won't know there is a problem till the damage is done to pistons, valves, and injectors.

LSPI can be very detrimental to the internals of a engine. It doesn't make much sense to cheap out in this regard. The dealers and such may make the comment that regular is fine to use, but they are interested in selling vehicles. If folks knew they should use premium they might be less inclined to buy the vehicle. The dealer benefits from the sale and the repairs that come later when the results manifest from using an inferior fuel.

jtdegen

Reaction score
My understanding is that GM has two tables in the ECM. If pinging is detected the low octane table is used and timing is retarded and the mixture is richened. If no pinging is detected the high octane table is used by the ECM.

Members online

No members online now.