Reduced engine power, service stabilitrak system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terasuu

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Equinox LS, I made a post about an issue I had a while back because I was getting the “reduced engine power” and “service stabilitrak system” errors and the vehicle wouldn’t start. It was recommended to change the throttle body. I finally got around to doing that and the car does start now, but I’m still getting the “reduced engine power” and “service stabilitrak system” errors. The car sat for a couple days before I was able to get back around to starting it again and those errors went away and I was able to drive it fine, but then 2 days after that when I went to drive it, those errors popped back up again and wouldn’t go away.
Also idk if it could have anything to do with it, but the catalytic converter on it is broken, damn thing sounds like a motorcycle when it’s running. Any ideas?

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
Any codes? Engine light on? I had that issue and I had to replace the gas pedal because there is a throttle sensor there.

Regarding the cat, how many miles? These seem to be bad at killing them early.

TomasA

Reaction score
One of the most common causes of the service StabiliTrak engine power reduced is when your speed sensor gets disrupted by debris. When that happens, your ECM will be unable to read the voltage response on the throttle body. In short, when any of the throttle position sensors go bad, the SUV’s reduced engine power mode comes on.

After replacing your throttle body, failure to carry out an idle relearn process may cause the SUV to enter limp mode too. Since the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system monitors a few of your vehicle’s systems, the limp mode would be triggered if there is a malfunction in any of those areas.

Sometimes, the problem may not be with the throttle position sensor, it may be caused by other things like; damaged wires, cooling engine issues, or engine performance problems. That is why it is advisable to run diagnostics on your Chevy Equinox with an appropriate OBDII scanner

What are the possible fixes?

Users of Chevy Equinoxes have some hacks to fix the engine reduced power mode when it occurs. Some of those repairs are:

• First, diagnose your Chevy Equinox with an appropriate OBDII scanner. That way, you can pinpoint the exact area to work on your vehicle. The diagnosis usually comes in the form of a code. You will need to check your SUV manual to find the definition of the code.
  • Since the problem is most likely to be a throttle body issue, you should clean or replace it. After replacing the throttle, ensure you carry out an idle relearn procedure to solve the issues completely.
  • Sometimes, the SUV issue is beyond DIY. You may have to call your mechanic to perform the repairs. That will help solve the problem faster and prevent further complications.

Members online