Recommended oil for a 2005 nox with high mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cybermario

Reaction score
hi there, first post here...

for the last oil change that i made i bought 5w30 synthetic blend, my mechanic tolds me that the oil is too thinner due the summer and its high milieage and he put something more ticker 17w40 something i dont remeber, the truck works well, but i concerned about next change, may i bought something like 25w50 or stick with 5w30 even the weather is too hot.

what you guys think, let me know, thanks in advance.

SteveG

Reaction score
How many miles are on your Equinox? Where do you live; what state?

I run high-viscosity (thick), Dexos-rated, Quaker State FS 5W-30 (11.6 cSt @ 100 deg C) , most of the time here in Alaska. My Nox has almost 165K miles on her.

I occasionally run Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4 oil in here as well. It's considerably thicker in a tired old engine (13.5 cSt @ 100 deg C). It purrs with this thicker, SN-rated oil.

A thicker SN-rated 5W-40 or maybe even an SN-rated 15W-40 oil would be suitable for a hot climate. Such thicker SN-rated oils provide the needed MOFT (the proper barrier or clearance to keep metal parts from physically contacting and wearing down). Older engines have loosened moving parts from many accumulated operating hours and they require thicker oil to keep the loose parts from colliding. An "SN-rated" thicker oil is needed so you and I don't poison our catalytic converters. An oil with a relatively low sulfated ash level is required as well. SN-rated oils should be in keeping with this desire.

Last edited:

cybermario

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Steve.

I live in Arizona where all the time is hot, about 104F, thats whats about the mechanic told me i need a thicker oil, but i dont know nothing about this and need what oil my nox needs or stick with 5w30 but high milleage, my nox have 75k.

i will consider your recomendation for hot climates, and you are right about old engines that need a thicker oil, the same my mechanic tolds me.

My concern is because the mechanics puts a random thicker oil, my engine works very well right now, but i think with the right oil, will works better.

thanks for your time.

Members online

No members online now.