Possible overheating and definitely Temp gauge issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortices27

Reaction score
Greetings all, I’m new here. 2008 Equinox 3.4L with around 170K miles. The temperature gauge needle points to 3 O’clock position, well past the highest temperature mark. The vehicle will occasionally display an alert that it’s over heating and to turn the ac off. I’ve changed the thermostat and the temperature probe. I’ve disconnected the battery to reset the computer but gauge needle still points to the right. I’ve come across threads with similar issues but no definitive resolutions. I will change the connectors to the radiator fans next but the temp gauge is a stumper. One thread suggested a possible problem with the stepper motor to the gauge.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

schovil69

Reaction score
I was thrust into the world of Equinox vehicles by a nephew who had a similar issue. The resolve for him was, as it appears to be for you, to just keep driving the vehicle until it wasn't drivable. For his nox, this meant the coolant poured out one day from the passenger side rear of the engine. My research into the issue turned up a common issue for these engines. That being the head gasket fails on the rear head and on the passenger side of the engine. I believe my nephew is the only example I've found where the coolant has poured out. Typical symptoms are what you described. I wish you the best and would expect you're due for changing head gaskets.

Vortices27

Reaction score
I was thrust into the world of Equinox vehicles by a nephew who had a similar issue. The resolve for him was, as it appears to be for you, to just keep driving the vehicle until it wasn't drivable. For his nox, this meant the coolant poured out one day from the passenger side rear of the engine. My research into the issue turned up a common issue for these engines. That being the head gasket fails on the rear head and on the passenger side of the engine. I believe my nephew is the only example I've found where the coolant has poured out. Typical symptoms are what you described. I wish you the best and would expect you're due for changing head gaskets.
Lordy, I was afraid someone was going to say that. I appreciate you responding to my post schovil69.

gkala

Reaction score
Yeah. Head gasket, head erosion. Check the pic of the water passages on my cylinder head with 75K miles.

HeadDamage_20190131.jpg

Last edited:

bearbait

Reaction score
This is why it is important to flush and replace engine coolant.reguraly. The rust inhibitors only last so long!

schovil69

Reaction score
Aluminum doesn't rust and that coolant passage being ate away like that isn't normal. Should go back to cast iron for heads.

birdman77

Reaction score
I had same issue. Change your thermostat and temperature sensor.
Fixed mine.

Members online

No members online now.