Plastic pieces found in oil sensors--2015 2.4 95K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillPressler

Reaction score
Daughter's Equinox had a check engine light and car stalled in her driveway. Nearby Firestone could get it right in. They replaced both VVT solenoids and said there were plastic pieces in the oil sensors. They said if the CEL comes on again, go to the dealer. This sounds to me like the car will most likely need timing chain replaced--would the plastic be the guides? Any chance it'll be OK does anyone think? Thanks in advance. This is frustrating as the car has had full-synthetic oil changes religiously--even more often than recommended--since it was bought in 2017 with 30K miles at a Chevy dealer.

BillPressler

Reaction score
Built in August 2015; almost a 2016. I would've thought engine issues had been ironed out by then.

Nocoast515

Reaction score
Daughter's Equinox had a check engine light and car stalled in her driveway. Nearby Firestone could get it right in. They replaced both VVT solenoids and said there were plastic pieces in the oil sensors. They said if the CEL comes on again, go to the dealer. This sounds to me like the car will most likely need timing chain replaced--would the plastic be the guides? Any chance it'll be OK does anyone think? Thanks in advance. This is frustrating as the car has had full-synthetic oil changes religiously--even more often than recommended--since it was bought in 2017 with 30K miles at a Chevy dealer.
I’m a tech at a Chevy dealer and honestly some timing chain guide material on the CMP actuator solenoid screens is normal
Just keep doing your oil changes like you have been and it’ll last awhile
You’ll know when it needs chains

BillPressler

Reaction score
Thanks. The dealer did put a timing chain and all related gaskets in this past week.

Members online

No members online now.