OPT-OUT Of Oil Consumption Lawsuit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colt Hero

Reaction score
OPT-OUT Of Oil Consumption Lawsuit?
You only have 60 days from the date the CLASS NOTICE was mailed to OPT-OUT of this Class Action Lawsuit. When did people start receiving these Letters .... was it August 1st, or the end of July or when?? Maybe only 2-3 weeks left to OPT-OUT.

I think anybody with a 2010, 2011, or 2012 2.4L Equinox or Terrain should be OPTing OUT ... because your coverage is not changing. It's still the same three SCAs (Special Coverage Adjustment) with the same terms, and this Lawsuit is not going to change that. So there's no benefit for you. The benefit is for GM because if you *don't* OPT-OUT, you will be included INto the lawsuit, and forever lose your right to sue GM for the defective engine they sold you (if that's what you ultimately end up having to do). By OPTing-OUT, you preserve your right to sue at a later date.

The only thing that changes with this Lawsuit is - (13) people (the Original Plaintiffs) will be paid off ... so *they'll* be happy ... and a portion of the 2013 owners (those built prior to May 2013) will gain coverage under a new SCA with the same coverage the 2011 and 2012 owners currently have: 7.5 years from Original Sale Date, or 120,000 miles ... whichever expires first. For *them* there will be some benefit ... IF they can fail a Consumption Test, that is.

But you 2010, 2011, and 2012 owners ... your coverage remains the same. And for many of these people, the three existing SCAs have already expired (or are about to expire). If this Lawsuit was *extending* these coverages, it would be a different story ... but it isn't. Therefore ... all you guys need to OPT-OUT.

Colt Hero

Reaction score
To OPT-OUT, you need to write a letter entitled "REQUEST FOR EXCLUSION".

In the letter, you simply say, "I WISH TO BE EXCLUDED FROM THE SETTLEMENT IN BERMAN vs GENERAL MOTORS, LLC, CASE No. 2: 18-cv-14371"

Then, you include your printed name, address, phone number, email address, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Lastly, you SIGN THE LETTER, and mail it to:

2.4 Liter Oil Consumption Litigation
c/o Analytics Consulting LLC
P.O. Box 2003
Chanhassen, MN 55317-2003

====

NOTE #1: The deadline to OPT-OUT is September 20,2019, which is a Friday, but I'd mail it no later than the 16th (Monday) to make sure it gets there before then. Of course, the earlier you mail it - the better.

NOTE #2: I would also send the letter Registered Mail (to prove that you mailed it). Or, even better - Return Receipt Required - to prove they received it!

Better get movin' ... only 20 business days left to OPT-OUT! Feels like a foregone conclusion at this point ...

Members online