Oil leak after head replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gibbs8282

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Brandon here and I have been working on a 2018 Equinox 1.5L turbo. The problems started with fairly low miles and consisted pretty much of only the vacuum pump going out, which happened several times. Finally, the last time the pump went out the dang thing actually shattered and it flung debris under the exhaust cam, which screwed up the clocking for the cam sensors, making it a useless paperweight along with the phasers. I repaired what I could with what my step mom was willing to buy, which wasn't enough because it needed new phasers, timing set, along with the vacuum pump and new cam. But she wouldn't listen to the mechanic lol. I got it back together and it just wouldn't run correct because the VVT system could not advance or retard the timing correctly because the phasers were so outta wack. She insisted on driving the car against my advice and ended up destroying the top end of the motor. It broke almost all the intake cam caps after, somehow, getting starved for oil and pretty much spinning the bearings. That was almost 9 months ago and the car stayed parked in my yard up until last week.

She finally came up with the money to get a good, used, low mileage head as well as a new timing set, new cam phasers, new VVT solenoids, head gasket and finally another vacuum pump. Well I finally got it all back together and this was with very limited service info due to the engine and car being fairly new but I've been turning wrenches for almost 25 years now so I was confident I could figure it out, which I did. Its all back together and running great. The only problem is I have a severe oil leak coming from somewhere on the right side of the engine. However it doesn't appear to be the crank seal. I even put dye in it but im having a very hard time pinpointing where this oil leak is coming from and its about to drive me nuts. Its so disheartening to have the car running perfectly with no CEL but then discover an oil leak you can't track down. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to throw them out to me. Im stumped and I'm about to have to pull it all back apart besides pulling the head back off or taking the timing apart besides taking the timing cover off anyways. Thanks.

Chevyenginox

Reaction score
Are you sure it isn’t just something simple like the turbo oil feed line? I think it connects on the right side. Your mom sounds like a pain in the butt by the way, lol.

Gmcdean

Reaction score
If it's near the rear of the motor could be gasket(common). Check pcv valve(remove and shake it) should hear a clicking noise if good. If not check your rear main gasket

Gmcdean

Reaction score
If it's near the rear of the motor could be gasket(common). Check pcv valve(remove and shake it) should hear a clicking noise if good. If not check your rear main gasket
Excuse me,brear main seal

Members online

No members online now.