Oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9Tex

Reaction score
Hi all,

I think I posted this in the wrong area so I'm posting it here.

I recently bought a 2010 Nox with 51000 on it. In the past 3 months I have driven around 3000 miles. The other day the check engine light came on and has been idling ruff. Code was a misfire according to OnStar. I decided to check the oil and was 3 quarts down so she's loosing about 1 quart every 1000 miles. After I added the oil problems went away and check engine light went out. No leaks no blue exhaust. It's not burning it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advanced.

DVB1

Reaction score
Same here. Sometimes I have to add a qt just to hold me off until I can change it.

08PILOT

Reaction score
Uhm, wow, no idea on that one guys, my 1st gen
Nox doesn't do that, at least not that I'm aware
of. What is the Oil Life percentage reading when
you have these kind of issues? (My book said 4K
Oil, 6K Tires, I do them both every 5K and OL %
has never been below 50% on any Oil changes.)

savaar

Reaction score
I saw these at my Dealership I worked at. Oil consumption on 2010 and some early 2011 but mostly 2010. Piston rings not sealing properly. We tried several with valve guide seals and it did not fix. Most likely will need a block. Have dealer run oil consumption test and get it fixed while still under powertrain.

carfan

Reaction score
Hi also have a 2010, 2.4 L4 engine, it was an early unit and had both the bad timing chain and cylinders. I had my dealer do the oil consumption test and since it needed the chain and burned about a qt. every 800 miles they contacted the GM factory rep. and replaced the motor. It comes from Tennessee so took about a week to get to the dealer and then 4 days to change. GM and the dealers know about the problem and are quite good about fixing. You'll find lots of this same problem on other consumer sites [try Edmunds for a start] I've had quite a few issues with the vehicle [ some off warranty] but GM and my dealer have been great at fixing for me at no cost.

upsetloyalcustomer

Reaction score
I have 2011 Equinox and had nothing but problems since around 35k miles. Kept stalling while under warranty and they fixed something which would've been $800.00. Didn't fix the issue. Now I have been under oil consumption program for 5 months. One time it was 4 quarts low, but most times it's 2 quarts low when i have it checked every other week. Now my catalytic converter went bad for a price of $1350.00. Is the oil issue something that could cause other things to go bad that they are making me pay for? I was a loyal chevy purchaser, but this is the 2nd lemon I got. My other one was an Acadia that I lost $10k on in the one year I owned. Seems to me GM should be giving me a new engine. What recourse do I have? I haven't fixed the converter yet.

Reaction score
Yes, the CATS going bad is directly related to the oil consumption. Basically the oil being burned poisoned the CATS and caused them to go bad. You should not be responsible for their replacement. I want to say they are supposed to be warrantied for up to 150k miles but not 100% sure on that.

KMOSER0513

Reaction score
Oil Consumption

Hi everyone, I have a 2013 Nox with 22000 miles and had 600 miles left before next oil change--no leaks. I came home from work the other day and my nox was making a noise-no lights came on. I asked my husband to check my oil and it wasn't even touching the stick. He added 2 quarts and took to Chevrolet dealer and their answer was to change the oil. Anyone else having this problem?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2013 Nox with 22000 miles and had 600 miles left before next oil change--no leaks. I came home from work the other day and my nox was making a noise-no lights came on. I asked my husband to check my oil and it wasn't even touching the stick. He added 2 quarts and took to Chevrolet dealer and their answer was to change the oil. Anyone else having this problem?

How many miles were on that oil change? Did you go by mileage or by the oil life monitor? What percent was it reading?

mark44004

Reaction score
ok, i see this thread is an old one, but the problem still persists. I've been bring in our 2011 equinox with the 2.4 engine since 99,000 on the OD. I've brought it in and had it checked 3 times at least. I was told the issue was the piston rings and it would cost me $3000.00 to fix at the dealership. I squawked and the offered to pay for half. still i said no way on a manufacturers defect.
flash forward to Sept 1st 2015, the other day I received a letter from GM that there are issues with the piston rings on the 2011 equinox and they will pay fully to replace them if the vehicle has no more than 120,000 miles. We now have 125,000. Now the fight begins. I contacted my dealership and they are going to look into fixing mine since I have been complaining for awhile now and there are records. If GM does not step up and take care of this completely since I've complained about this prior, my wife says she's going to put a brick on the gas pedal and drive that sucker thru their showroom window. Now i doubt that but she is pissed. That is her work vehicle and she puts up to 2500 miles a month on her car. we bought it because of the advertised gas mileage of 34 mpg (HA!). her miles are 90 % freeway and she's lucky if she gets 27 combined.
This should be very interesting...

Members online

No members online now.