Odd old oil smell...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lenn

Reaction score
I have noticed recently that after driving our 2006 Equinox for a little while and then parking in the garage, it smells like old dirty oil. I changed the oil recently and didnt notice anything abnormal like chunks or similar and there's no leaks. Its the 3.4L and has 80k on it so I was thinking maybe sludge but pulling the oil cap looks normal down in the valve train. I do notice occasionally the remeniscant, short lived sound of a Cummin's diesel engine when it starts cold. The only other thing I can think of is excessive blowby but I don't know how to diagnose that.

Any other input from other members?

Reaction score
Did you do a good look over and see if there is a small leak someplace. The diesel sound at start up is usually an indication that the oil filter is full but if you have just changed it then that should rule that out. What filter and oil are you using. Just curious. If there isn't any leaks then not sure what the cause it.

Lenn

Reaction score
I used Valvoline NextGen oil and a Fram filter. I normally use Mobil Clean 5000 conventional oil but I got the Valvoline oil for free. Don't judge me. ;)

The car is dry as a bone underneath. I did notice that where the (non-replaceable) PCV valve goes into the front valve cover, there's a light weepage but not even enough to go down the front of the valve cover.

I threw a can of "Motor Honey" in there this morning to see if I can quiet it down with just an additive. I am taking shots in the dark at this point. It worries me but it seems to be running ok otherwise.

Lenn

Reaction score
Well, that Motor Honey seemed to quiet it right the hell up. I wonder how long before I hear it again.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't spill any oil around hot parts of the car? Normally you get smells when you get oil on the exhaust.

Lenn

Reaction score
Positive. I smelled it even before I changed the oil. I hoped it was just a cheap ass oil used by the dealer I bought it from... not the case.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Lenn

Reaction score
Haha... Yeah. I think next oil change, I'm gonna put some ATF in there and let the car idle for a little while before draining the pan.

Members online

No members online now.