Noob here -2014 nox- electrical/alternator not charging issue..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noxtonothing

Reaction score
Ok. So this is what's been going on..
Firstly ,let me say,I'm not a mechanic.
I am able to do things and have a basic understanding,and can learn.
The issue has been my nox would die overnight, occasionally so I'd jump-start with a jump box,and it would be fine..so I figured the alternator was going out.
Months later my battery died overnight,and I decided to get a battery. The guy goes to put it in,and reverses the polarity.so of course sparks,and the horn blew three times..I go ahead and take the battery out,and check/change all my fuses etc..battery goes in..starts up,runs fine,until.the battery dies...so I get an alternator,put it in,hook it up charge the battery,starts up..success...until that damn battery light shows it's face.and it will run til the battery dies..so I pay a mechanic...this peach of a human charges me to fix the truck..I have him the money when he said it was finished..go pick up my nox..hoping I can go to work...and as soon as it starts battery light .charging system warning..as well as the power steering warning,and that's out too .I don't even makemitnhome,thinking maybe he knows better than I do,because I'm just a tattoo artist.it dies.i get a jump...it dies in less than a minute.
I charge battery to full,light goes off..drive it ten minutes home..by the time I make it back it dies and light is on..there's been two alternators put it..one used this current one Is new.the mechanic guy is intentionally dragging his feet on repairing the issue,which he says is the inline fuse near the alt...and he ordered the part..a month ago..but I'm not so sure he has a clue.i haven't been able to drive in over a month,and I'm getting close to this truck being repossessed,because I've dumped what I had into trying to fix ,and tow this thing from one place to the next.im not sure if anyone has definitive answers,but I hope I can get a hand with this..I appreciate it,and anyone's time..
This is the fuse he cut outreceived_1125560845029362.jpeg

corvairbob

Reaction score
do you get any codes? and have you checked to see if an under the hood fuses for the electrical system have failed. i'm hard pressed to think a fully charged battery will die in a few minutes or driving. some say on newer cars the computer controls the alt output so also take a peek to see if any wires that look like they may be ground wires may have come off. here are some online help tips you might read to see if you can follow them and find the issue

maybe one of these may help you find the real issue. but look for a bad fuse also look at the alt fuse is tight in the socket. and look for a lose wire that might look like it should be on the frame or engine and doing the ground circuit. maybe a broken wire or rusted connection on the frame and or engine. seems these cars have tons of grounding points around the engine compartment area

also if the car is down now for that cut out fuse for the heck of it splice the wires back and see if that helps. then look for a new fuse if you have access to a large soldering iron and rosin core solder you can solder the wire back together or get a small hose clamp bare the wires back a bit and clamp them beck together for testeind. don't forget to cover the clamp real good with electrical tape and if you happen to ahve a hose that will fit over that splice fasten that over it as well just to be safe. then if that works you know it was that fuse. if not then you need to keep looking. don't let that splice hit any metal at all!!!!

good luck to you

here are some splice photos

Last edited:

noxtonothing

Reaction score
It ended up being the inline fuse.and the truck is running better actually..but the infotainment won't work.its getting power fuses all checked so I'm thinking it's anit theft..thanks for the help!

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok did you change out that fuse or did the mechanic change it out? did you do that test i said you could try to make sure that 200 amp fuse was the issue?

thanks for letting us know

noxtonothing

Reaction score
I had someone change the inline fuse,and we also removed and cleaned the chassis ground,and any other electric connections that had corrosion.im glad it worked out.

Members online