New Equinox owner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lenn

Reaction score
I'll be purchasing my 2006 Equinox LT today and am new to this vehicle... and GM's in general. Its being purchased without an owners manual and I have a few questions that I hope not to get flamed for... being a n00b and all. Haha.

1) Spark plugs. What interval do they get changed at?
2) I would assume that this is a pushrod engine... so that assumption leads me to believe that theres no timing belt to worry about. Correct?
3) I read horror stories about cracked heads. Is that a common thing or just a rarity that seems larger than it really is due to a few disgruntled customers?
4) How much of a pain is it to reseal the headlights? My right light is retaining moisture.
5) What interval is the transmission fluid supposed to be changed? I dont even see a dipstick to check the condition.
6) PCV valve... is there one? If so, where?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm sure I'll have more to come.

Thanks all.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Congrats on the nox.
Can not help you with the questions, I know some of the other people on here will be able to help you.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Lenn I hope this helps as I am going to try and answer your questions as accurately as possible..

I normally do spark plugs and wires around 70-100k. I would perform it prior to this mark if I noticed a fall in fuel mileage. This is one of the things that I would try for improvement.

I am 99% sure that you have a timing chain. Yes, not a belt like a Honda that can stretch out and break if not changed by 100k resulting in loss of timing and screwing the motor.

I had a Cavalier and I never changed the time chain. It still drives today but I sold it at 150k

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Whenever I find cracked heads or blocks they are freeze related. Or at least the ones that I come in contact with.

This is a result of hot summer months and with a tight budget using water to fill cooling system neglecting the need for anti-freeze by winter.

It would be easier to find replacement lights at junk yard, ebay or craigslist. You could try with some clear drying silicone.

I think that the pcv valve is behind the alternator that has a pipe fed into it that comes from the back of the engine. With a flash light and the MAF moved to the side and possibly throttle body might be in the way too.

Hope this helps. I may be thinking about another motor but I thought it might give you a little something. somethin.

:waytogo:

Lenn

Reaction score
Thanks alot man. That really helps. I can tell I probably need new plugs and a fuel filter due to a slightly odd idle but nothing too alarming. Its got 78k on it so they couldn't hurt either. I fixed the light with the oven method and some black gasket maker material. Worked great.

Oh by the way, here she is...
IMG_20110429_170555.jpg

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Lenn

Reaction score
Thanks man. The only things wish it had were a sunroof and a way to hook up my iPod.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks alot man. That really helps. I can tell I probably need new plugs and a fuel filter due to a slightly odd idle but nothing too alarming. Its got 78k on it so they couldn't hurt either. I fixed the light with the oven method and some black gasket maker material. Worked great.

Oh by the way, here she is...
IMG_20110429_170555.jpg

I have the Ipod hook up but I want the sunroof as well!

Chevynox2005

Reaction score
I bought my 2005 nod from a dealer last October- I had a major gas cap leak that I fixed but the condensation in my headlights is unreal! Dealer won't do anything, and advice?

Lenn

Reaction score
No. Haha. I have MASSIVE condensation in mine, too. I've pulled them and resealed them twice. No luck. Hell, I made the right side worse after a reseal. IDK, I might just buy new ones off ebay and say F it.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I bought my 2005 nod from a dealer last October- I had a major gas cap leak that I fixed but the condensation in my headlights is unreal! Dealer won't do anything, and advice?

There is a procedure that you should look into but it consists of take your lamp out of your car, removing bulbs and harness...

Put the head lamp into the oven. Need to research time and temp. This allows the gasket where the lens meets to the lamp assembly to soften so that it can be pulled apart.

Let the inside dry out and wipe down before re-gluing.

Lenn

Reaction score
Need to research time and temp.
10 minutes at 250*

Personally, I wouldnt go thru that just to reseal them. I'd remove the light from the car, take all the bulbs out, remove the rubber sealing ring from around the headlight bulb area and use a blowdryer to get out any condensation in the light. I actually had about 2 cups of water in my right headlight when I did this the first time... needless to say, you'll have to dump that out first. You can do the 10min/250* step just to loosten the seal and when you remove it from the oven, just press down on the lens to ensure the tightest seal possible. I also purchased clear silicone to go around the outside of the seam. IDK if thats what is making my seal poop or what, but I'm about to do it for a THIRD time and I bought some black gasket maker. I'll be removing all the clear stuff.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
10 minutes at 250*

Personally, I wouldnt go thru that just to reseal them. I'd remove the light from the car, take all the bulbs out, remove the rubber sealing ring from around the headlight bulb area and use a blowdryer to get out any condensation in the light. I actually had about 2 cups of water in my right headlight when I did this the first time... needless to say, you'll have to dump that out first. You can do the 10min/250* step just to loosten the seal and when you remove it from the oven, just press down on the lens to ensure the tightest seal possible. I also purchased clear silicone to go around the outside of the seam. IDK if thats what is making my seal poop or what, but I'm about to do it for a THIRD time and I bought some black gasket maker. I'll be removing all the clear stuff.

Did you fix it yet? I wish there was always a full proof way of doing everything...

Lenn

Reaction score
Haha... no. Sadly, my wife has been driving it and I've been working like a dog. There's still condensation in it and other than yesterday, it hadn't rained here since I made that post. Haha.

I gotta get on the ball.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I know how it is though. I am swamped as it is too. I should have been done with 3 jobs by now and all I did was maintain my equipment. I was looking for a easy day tomorrow but it looks like it will be a full day.

Members online

No members online now.