Needing some help, suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timr847

Reaction score
Hey guys newbie here🖐️
I need some help please. I'm working on daughters 2013 2.4 Ecotec. Removed cylinder head(replacing valves) removed springs and soaked because of mass carbon/oil build up don't think oil filter was ever changed, it was shrunken in tight and jet black🤬 Anyways I assumed the springs were all same size so I put Alli of then into a pile but after cleaning them I'm see markings on some of them (gold paint?) Some are marked with two or three paint(?)marks, then I decided to measured them. I have 4@ 1.6580. 4@ 1.6675 and 8@ 1.6755 ? Are they messed up or do they go in a certain order to the cylinders, I'm only seeing 1.7 inch height springs, would that mean all of my springs shortened over time and I just replace them?
I'm looking all over on web and can't find anything about this??
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tim

Last edited:

comp

Reaction score
can you find min-max specs ? also what the installed height pressure is ? they may all be usable

timr847

Reaction score
Im not finding "installed height pressure" just explanations why and I do see that height shouldn't be less than .05 in which most of them are getting close to that variance ?
When i type in 2013 ecotec 2.4l valve springs at different parts stores, rockauto, gm parts, it gives me the melling vs-2483 and those are 1.7" so if thats the case ill just replace all of them since replacing all the valves and only around $70? So would you think its safe to say they're all one height and the different sizes im measuring on these used ones is because they're worn? she only has 109,000 on her? I did tear down because no compression after changing timimg chain. BTW COMP, THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY ITS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

comp

Reaction score
Im not finding "installed height pressure" just explanations why and I do see that height shouldn't be less than .05 in which most of them are getting close to that variance ?
When i type in 2013 ecotec 2.4l valve springs at different parts stores, rockauto, gm parts, it gives me the melling vs-2483 and those are 1.7" so if thats the case ill just replace all of them since replacing all the valves and only around $70? So would you think its safe to say they're all one height and the different sizes im measuring on these used ones is because they're worn? she only has 109,000 on her? I did tear down because no compression after changing timimg chain. BTW COMP, THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY ITS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
the installed height can change because of the valve seat , if the valve was ground a few tho. more ?? do you have valve spring shims ?? i dont have a engine book YET to see spec,s on these engines i,m still learning why the fail.. Mine has 70k on it i pray i have a gen3 block if so it will be a soild base for a rebuild,,let me know what you find.. also there are to many different internet specs on MANY things so remain watchfull,,, i need a real spec manule

superd

Reaction score
Following ...I also just completed a head rebuild and timing chain/ water pump replacement. I too put all the springs in a can to soak them. Replaced all exhaust valves and 4 intake valves. Got it all back together a couple days ago, and it would crank but not start. I'm shown low compression across all cylinders. About to disassemble back to the timing chain cover to see if something happened. Hopefully it's a minor adjustment....Hope yours is too. Not eager to remove and install springs and keepers again. Good Luck to you.

timr847

Reaction score
the installed height can change because of the valve seat , if the valve was ground a few tho. more ?? do you have valve spring shims ?? i dont have a engine book YET to see spec,s on these engines i,m still learning why the fail.. Mine has 70k on it i pray i have a gen3 block if so it will be a soild base for a rebuild,,let me know what you find.. also there are to many different internet specs on MANY things so remain watchfull,,, i need a real spec manule
I only found 1.7" ht springs on every different parts sales on web. Leaving me to assume the shortened ones I listed about were just worn (probably during the timing issue daughter drove car home 90+ miles with timing probably slightly off). I was confused because some of the springs had markings on them and some were little more worn than the others. I did find an article saying there is a .05 tolerance(wear) on the spring height , n most of them are within that but I might as well just replace with new ones, I bought them n the valve seals. Now I'm trying to figure out how to pull the valve seals without messing up the guides, since I have them. She's got about 100k on her. Main reason for all of this was timing chain guide broke and couple nuts were ground down a little. Scary at first when seeing metal in one the but relieved to find out was ground down bolt head from timing chain guide. After resetting everything, didn't start n still no compression so pulled the head.
No spring shims, just the keeper for on top of springs for the valve stem.

timr847

Reaction score
Following ...I also just completed a head rebuild and timing chain/ water pump replacement. I too put all the springs in a can to soak them. Replaced all exhaust valves and 4 intake valves. Got it all back together a couple days ago, and it would crank but not start. I'm shown low compression across all cylinders. About to disassemble back to the timing chain cover to see if something happened. Hopefully it's a minor adjustment....Hope yours is too. Not eager to remove and install springs and keepers again. Good Luck to you.
Thanks!
Just don't do what I did 1st time, make sure cylinder 1 is top dead center i didn't and now becoming a master of setting up the timing chain LMAO

timr847

Reaction score
I only found 1.7" ht springs on every different parts sales on web. Leaving me to assume the shortened ones I listed about were just worn (probably during the timing issue daughter drove car home 90+ miles with timing probably slightly off). I was confused because some of the springs had markings on them and some were little more worn than the others. I did find an article saying there is a .05 tolerance(wear) on the spring height , n most of them are within that but I might as well just replace with new ones, I bought them n the valve seals. Now I'm trying to figure out how to pull the valve seals without messing up the guides, since I have them. She's got about 100k on her. Main reason for all of this was timing chain guide broke and couple nuts were ground down a little. Scary at first when seeing metal in one the but relieved to find out was ground down bolt head from timing chain guide. After resetting everything, didn't start n still no compression so pulled the head.
No spring shims, just the keeper for on top of springs for the valve stem.
Figured the seals out. Was really easy took my harbor freight pick and began to get in-between seal n space and they popped right up👍 didn't want to try with pliers was storage afraid I'd mess up the guide. Lol

Gmcdean

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there was an initial problem that prompted the work and if you checked for special coverage

timr847

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there was an initial problem that prompted the work and if you checked for special coverage
Daughter did get couple card s from GM to take back to dealer. She did take it the first time. The guy there told her it wasn't for her equinox(then why get card in first place?). Then she received another one couple weeks ago after timing chain guide broke and it couldn't take it in and now the date had expired? I wanted to take it back and bitch at them denying her the first time. But I don't think recall/card had anything to do with the timing? Not sure of any special coverage?

comp

Reaction score
Daughter did get couple card s from GM to take back to dealer. She did take it the first time. The guy there told her it wasn't for her equinox(then why get card in first place?). Then she received another one couple weeks ago after timing chain guide broke and it couldn't take it in and now the date had expired? I wanted to take it back and bitch at them denying her the first time. But I don't think recall/card had anything to do with the timing? Not sure of any special coverage?
contact GM about it by-pass that dealer

timr847

Reaction score
Hey timr847, did you get this issue resolved?
Yes I did. Thought I posted it up here? Maybe on one of the comments? It was The phazers from rock auto, they were completely different from the oem( even though I had make model n yr listed when looking for timing chain kit!) So for now on when it comes to parts that are vital I will now only get oem. I found a video that I wish I would've found two months ago lol where guy had same problem with inference with position n valve they didn't line up got rid year (2013). He said he "fixed" the phazer himself, I said screw that and order oem phazers put back together n everything lines up and she's running well!

schovil69

Reaction score
Yeah, I should have came back in here. I did see where you posted the outcome in another thread. Thanks for posting here, too!

Members online

No members online now.