Misfiring what are my next steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jphil

Reaction score
I’m sure this is covered a lot here as the 2.4 is notorious for many reasons.

I need to be able to lay out all the info I got and get some wisdom on next steps. My 2011 2.4 equinox is misfiring and basically undriveable. Here’s my history:

2011 equinox lt 2.4 178k miles

Bought with 145k miles
145k - New spark plugs, coils, both of those solenoids on top of valve cover (all just preventative new purchase maintenance)
146k noticed that it burns oil. Shocker!
Since 146k - change oil ever 3k miles with full synthetic high mileage oil
155k P0420 code - replaced cat converter and exhaust manifold (was cracked)
Ran great until 170k
170k started idling rough. Cleaned throttle body and seemed to help it out a lot
174k new valve cover gasket
177k code P0138 - replaced both o2 sensors and code went away but came back on 300 miles later
178k starts misfiring and surging, code P0138 and P0300.
Parked it and can’t drive it now.

Have done a bunch of research. Don’t know what to do next. On a major budget I do not want to take it to a mechanic and I also don’t have diagnostic tools aside from the code reader.

Thoughts?
Clean fuel injectors?
Check for air leaks?
High pressure fuel pump?
Timing chain issue?

I know the oil buring is bound to eventually ruin it. And maybe it now has. I’m not having the piston rings done, the car isn’t worth it.

What should be my next steps? Thanks!

kpmueller2006

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2015 2.4 equinox. I wasted a lot of money buying sensors with no noticeable changes, this includes throttle body, both fuel sensors and fuel pump, and it goes on
What I finally did have done is my timiming chain and all related parts. Not only was it 100 times better it doesn't die or go into limp mode anymore and all codes are gone!!

Members online