maps SD card update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HermanJ

Reaction score
Hi, I've only had my 2020 Equinox 12 months and I'm getting notifications to update my maps SD card (for $100); anyone had one long enough to know how often they're doing these updates? I have the in-dash navigation and would like to keep it up to date, but... $100....?

ricklack

Reaction score
I doubt your map update will have many changes. With smartphones having up to date maps and navigation I would hesitate upgrading the car's nav system too often, maybe 3 or 5 years. Unless you drive it for your work and need to find places, then maybe more often.

My 2013 was an oddball in that they never made an update until 2019 or so. I didn't purchase the update and now they no longer sell one for it. I did drive it for work up until 2018 and never had an issue where I couldn't find things.

Looks like your update is $50 off at the moment, maybe that's why they are bugging you?

HermanJ

Reaction score
Thank you; are the updates significant or primarily cosmetic?

HermanJ

Reaction score
I doubt your map update will have many changes. With smartphones having up to date maps and navigation I would hesitate upgrading the car's nav system too often, maybe 3 or 5 years. Unless you drive it for your work and need to find places, then maybe more often.

My 2013 was an oddball in that they never made an update until 2019 or so. I didn't purchase the update and now they no longer sell one for it. I did drive it for work up until 2018 and never had an issue where I couldn't find things.

Looks like your update is $50 off at the moment, maybe that's why they are bugging you?

Thank you; I think I'll hold off for a year or at least until I start traveling more.

SteveK

Reaction score
Those of you getting this update notice, do you also subscribe to Onstar.
If not I wonder how they notifiction arrives.

Members online

No members online now.