Looking to purchase an Equinox 2012-2013, advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wannabechevyowner

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking at a used Equinox, years 2012 and 2013 in the 100k mile vicinity, however I've been reading a lot of information regarding high oil consumption and all the issues surrounding it.
Most websites seem to say 2013 and onwards is good, but I have read brief mentions about 2013 being bad as well.

Is this for both 2.4 and v6 variants?

Is it best to steer well away from these years entirely, and look 2014 onwards?

Any advice is appreciated!

TARDIS B

Reaction score
I know this is old but for anyone considering a vehicle with a Chevy Ecotec 2.4L engine don't do it. I have two in my driveway. A 2015 Captive with 113K that is burning over a quart on 500 mile strait trips, the other is 2015 Equinox that has 77K and is starting to burn oil. Once they start burning oil it gets worse quick. It ashamed because they are comfortable and have good safety ratings in accidents.

Gar

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking at a used Equinox, years 2012 and 2013 in the 100k mile vicinity, however I've been reading a lot of information regarding high oil consumption and all the issues surrounding it.
Most websites seem to say 2013 and onwards is good, but I have read brief mentions about 2013 being bad as well.

I have a 2010 with a 2013 engine put in under warranty at 93,000K. The car now has 235K on it. minor oil consumption even with 142K on the engine. The key I believe is to use synthetic oil and change more frequently than in the manual. I hardly ever went more than 5K on the oil and filter. Good luck

Canalman

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2011 Lt v6 just hit 160000....only problems have been normal rotors,wheel bearings,brakes..I tend to beleive the 4 cylinders have the oil consumption issues

ricklack

Reaction score
I have a 2013 with V6 with 324,000 km (@ 200,000 miles) and it purrs like a kitten. Only thing I've done is routine maintenance, except the AC broke the other day. Was just talking to my wife, she asked if I was thinking of replacing it. I said no and she was ecstatic as she loves the Nox. I am taking it in to have the trans looked at as it is still under warranty (extended warranty runs out in 2 month) and it slips a bit in 1st under hard acceleration.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with comfort and reliability. I have an LT with 1SC package which is a notch below the top of the line LTZ. Leather heated seats etc.

As noted above, stay away from the 2.4.

Members online

No members online now.