LE5 BLOCK WITH LEA HEAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbailey33

Reaction score
I am needing an engine for my 17 Equinox 2.4 LEA engine. I have a good 2011 malibu LE5 short block assembly and my LEA head is still good.
Does anyone know if this combo will work? i am planning on new pistons , rings, bearings, etc to freshen up the block.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I am needing an engine for my 17 Equinox 2.4 LEA engine. I have a good 2011 malibu LE5 short block assembly and my LEA head is still good.
Does anyone know if this combo will work? i am planning on new pistons , rings, bearings, etc to freshen up the block.

What happened to your original engine?

corvairbob

Reaction score
you should be just fine but time it to the le8 head as that head uses 2 exhaust cams. and get the timing chain set for the le8 as the other chains are not marked correctly the blocks are the same the cams were different. also make sure you have both cam sensors. i do not remember if the other heads have both the intake and the exhaust cam sensors. but i do now for a fact the chain is different as i got one for the other engine and it did not turn over. there is lots of ways to set that head on you tube but i can link you up if needed. just search for equinox le8 timing chain replacement.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
The timing set is the same. Can buy it as a package from any GM dealership. Part number 12680750

But if going to all the trouble of removing and replacing, should replace water pump, rear timing set, etc. Cloyes offers a quality product that includes it all. Part number is 78FC66V. Can usually get on eBay fast and cheap.

corvairbob

Reaction score

how to do the timing chain on the 2013 equinox it should be the same on the 2017 i said le8 i should have said lea instead double check to make sure you have both vvt cam sprockets. I'm sure the 2017 has t vvt sprockets. but you never know you may have the intake with just a plain sprocket and the exhaust with the vvt sprocket. if so let me know and i can send a YT for that one. but either way the procedure is the same.

Last edited:

corvairbob

Reaction score
the timing chain set for the lea is different on the 2013 so ask when you get one to make sure. the 2013 lea head uses the same cams for both sides been there done that on the 2013. might be the same on the 2017 so double check to make sure

Last edited:

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
And if really want to be safe, have the block measured by a machine shop to ensure still in spec. The direct injection setup will "amplify" any oil blow-by issue the short block already has.

I have recently made the decision to no longer re-use stock bores on all of my rebuilds. All blocks are bored 0.020 over and fitted with updated style pistons. This seems to be the best option to fight the oil consumption issue.

Several engines that I had rebuilt in the past using the new GM updated pistons and rings still used oil after the rebuild. The blocks all measured within the spec GM required, but still. The oil consumption was reduced greatly, but still present.

The engines that were bored and oversized pistons used seem to have almost no issue. Of the last 7 engines that were done this way, I have contact/ access to 4 of. All 4 had oil halfway up the hash marks on dipstick at first 3,000 mile oil change. Thats excellent during a break in period.

Sorry to ramble, just some thoughts for while you have it all apart.

mbailey33

Reaction score
And if really want to be safe, have the block measured by a machine shop to ensure still in spec. The direct injection setup will "amplify" any oil blow-by issue the short block already has.

I have recently made the decision to no longer re-use stock bores on all of my rebuilds. All blocks are bored 0.020 over and fitted with updated style pistons. This seems to be the best option to fight the oil consumption issue.

Several engines that I had rebuilt in the past using the new GM updated pistons and rings still used oil after the rebuild. The blocks all measured within the spec GM required, but still. The oil consumption was reduced greatly, but still present.

The engines that were bored and oversized pistons used seem to have almost no issue. Of the last 7 engines that were done this way, I have contact/ access to 4 of. All 4 had oil halfway up the hash marks on dipstick at first 3,000 mile oil change. Thats excellent during a break in period.

Sorry to ramble, just some thoughts for while you have it all apart.
Thanks for your input. I've done multiple timing chains on 2.4, so that's not a problem.
Just wanted to make sure there weren't any timing issues using the LE5 crank/short block.

corvairbob

Reaction score
outside of injection issues but i think all the engines had direct injection. but for some reason gm put a different head on some models. maybe it was a California or canada thing. it may be a bit different in the pollutants the engine produces. but the timing setup is the same but for the intake cam on the 2013 head. and it might be the same for the 2017 head. i put the le5 timing set on my lea or 8 engine and it actually fit and when i tried to turn the engine over i got maybe 5 degrees and a piston hit a valve. i then found out i had the lea or 8 engine and had to get a different set of vvt sprockets. but i also had to get the chain set as it was a kit so i sent the kit back and got a new kit for the correct engine. outside of that i'm sure they are the same head. i did see a Yt that someone change the lea cam for the le5 cam but i didn't save it as i did not have the le5 cam. good luck id id a rebuild on my engine and used the stock pistons as they were actually still in speck and i had maybe .005 taper in the cylinders. but i also did a mod to the pistons that the hot rodders doe to make the oil drian out the oil rings faster by drilling them. but don't do that unless your good at mods and know how and where to drill. a hole in the wrong spot might give you headaches. i also did the old school pvc mod as well. htey have that on YT and my oil use has went to almost nothing now.

i just doe a cloyes timing chain lookup and for the 2013 and the 2017 they part numbers are the same take a look for your own research. plus they have good q/a and a video that shows how to do this.

good luck

Members online