Issue entering a city as a destination in Navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rburn99

Reaction score
Sometimes when traveling we don't need (or even have) a specific address but just want directions to a city. If we are not driving I can hit the search icon and in the text box I can type the city I want and it will appear in the list. I can then select it and all's well. But if driving, the system won't let anyone type (including the passenger) so we have to use voice search. But unlike typing in the search, voice search will not allow you to just give a city name. Without a street address along with the city name it just says it doesn't understand. So what I've been doing is pulling off the highway onto the shoulder and stopping so we can type the city name and then deal with the hassle of getting back into the high speed flow of traffic. If the system could be configured to either A) allow the passenger to type while I drove or B) have the voice input option accept city names just as it does for the typing input option that would be great. Are either of these options doable?

Last edited:

renossuv

Reaction score
What you've experienced is the safety lockout that most manufacturers have placed on their Navagation system. It is like texting on your cell phone, you have to take your eyes off the road to type right? Same with entering info into the Nav. Also, the system does not know if it is the driver or passenger who is typing info. Pre-program before you leave the house or wait until you are stopped at a signal light.

I pre-program destination(s), POI's, food and fuel stops before my trips.

Members online