installing remanufactured cylinder head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icu1954

Reaction score
hi all, i need some advice on installing a remanufactured cylinder head on my 2016 chevy equinox LT 2.4.I have everything ready and clean for the install.I have set cams to there proper positions and got number 1 piston up to TDC.My concern is when i torque the head,will i have to worry about valves and pistons touching.Should i back off on the crank and get all of the pistons down and when finished with the torque,bring the crank back to TDC.I just want everything to go right because i have some what of a good bit of money tied up in this project.Thanks for any help you can provide.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
While cylinder head is still off the vehicle, put on the camshaft actuator gears (no bolts) and turn each camshaft to proper position. Then remove the gears again this will keep you from rotating valve train in place. I also turn crankshaft off TDC while setting head on, then return to TDC once head in place and I'm sure cams are lined up.

icu1954

Reaction score
thanks,that's just what i did.I sat head on the block,it started raining,so i will torque it down tommorow.Thanks again

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
👍

Was this project started due to jumping timing? If so you need to inspect camshaft "snouts" and make sure they didn't get moved/spun when engine was forced stopped. It's usually the intake shaft that moves and causes the headaches to begin.

It's still possible to install the chain and start the engine. The ECM can overcome the variance, but will set the engine light due to the descrepency.

1st time I encountered it I had the head on and off 4 times and back the machine shop I used searching for issue. Finally got a cam off a running vehicle that was smoking to compare to and figured it out.

I keep a new intake and exhaust cam in garage to compare each time I rebuild these engines to make sure. I can provide pictures of the key vs lobe references if you need them.

icu1954

Reaction score
hi, thanks for the reply,i installed a fresh remanufactured head,and by the way it was the timing chain that skipped some teeth.I believe the tensioner went south.

icu1954

Reaction score
hi,i seem to have a problem, my angle when torqueing my head suppose to be 155 but i cant get but 80 out of the gauge and bolts are tight to the point that they pop.what seems to be wrong here.

Members online