I4 Transmission Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hseiff

Reaction score
The Owner's Manual for my 2011 Equinox 4-cylinder says to change the Automatic transmission fluid At 100,000 miles. This is the transmission with no dipstick/fill tube, or removable oil pan or filter. Dealer says they can do a flush (which I DON'T want) but not just exchange fluid. They say I'm better off to do nothing than simply draining the about four quarts from the sump and refilling. What's the official GM guidance at this point?

wbandet2

Reaction score
The transmission went out on my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox at under 75000 miles (about 74 K) and thankfully I had an extended warranty (thru my credit union) which covered the $4300 cost. Good luck with your transmission. Find a mechanic you or your friends trust and ask them. That's what I do when I'm in a dilemma.

Cliff

Reaction score
Every personal vehicle I own I change out all drive train fluids by 10K miles to get break in wear metals out, then every 50K miles after that. Have never lost a trans, Xfer, or diff in almost 50 years.

Just picked up a 2017 Nox 2.4 last weekend with 32K. Will change out trans, xfer, and diff fluids this next week.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Every personal vehicle I own I change out all drive train fluids by 10K miles to get break in wear metals out, then every 50K miles after that. Have never lost a trans, Xfer, or diff in almost 50 years.

Just picked up a 2017 Nox 2.4 last weekend with 32K. Will change out trans, xfer, and diff fluids this next week.

What's the oldest/most miled vehicle you have owned?

Cliff

Reaction score
What's the oldest/most miled vehicle you have owned?

I have had several that I have taken to well over 200,000 miles. I think the longest was a 1974 Pontiac Catalina with a 400 in it that I took to roughly 325,000 miles. A close second was a 1966 Chevy C10 pickup with a 283 that I really was fond of. The Catalina died of extreme body cancer but the motor and trans were still good. Parted the Catalina out and sold the motor and trans. My commercial stuff, I have had several that have gone well over a million miles.

I have a commercial truck now that is at 965,584 miles / 20928 engine hours and, except for a starter, tires, shocks, brakes, and alternator, is all original. And it works 5 days a week doing about 2600 miles a week. It will go over 1 million miles sometime late summer. Even still has original clutch. And it uses less oil than many of the vehicles on this forum. About 1 qt per 11,000 miles and gets oil changed at around 22,500 miles. Not bad for a 13L motor that is a factory reman and has almost a million miles on the reman. I ordered this 2013 truck without a motor and trans to avoid the new diesel emissions stuff and put in a factory remanned pre-emission engine and trans in it. All within the law to do.

The only vehicle I gave up early was a 2013 Silverado 1500 5.3. Nothing mechanically wrong, I just grew to despise it. I was inventing new swear words. That is when I got my present 2015 Silverado 2500 to replace it. We also have a 2006 Cadillac CTS that is at around 120,000, and we have no intention of letting it go. Great car, clean, rust free, and only thing it has had done is tires, brakes, and a left rear axle hub a few weeks ago.

Maintenance and proper operation is key to longevity. I am a stickler for good maintenance practices.

TARDIS B

Reaction score
I have the 2.4L. I drain and refill it annually. It takes just under 5qts. I use Valvoline Maxlife trans fluid. 64,000 and no issues. My wife has a Cativa with the same engine and transmission. It has 102K no issues. Drain a refill annually. Works great and easier and costs less than an oil change.

Fitter30

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to change. Drain plug in bottom, check level left side wheel well with wheels turned hard right theres another plug, long funnel to put fluid back in and something to measure the fluid taken out. Changing it cold will drain a little more fluid than warm, the pipe plugs when reinstalling don't over tighten case is aluminum. Checking fluid level trans has to be up to operating temperature, engine running in park. At 60k my fluid came out jet black. Changed fluid 5 times before it started to get red drove 50-100 miles between changes then changed it again 72k was on the dark side but still had a red tint.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1_GaZnwYknw

Members online

No members online now.