I broke the Lumbar... *UPDATE* Fixed. (See post #9)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
And this would not be a big deal for me because I don't use it pushed out but my wife uses it all the way out.

So here's how it happened.

I was moving the Nox out of the garage to do some work and it was in my wifes position. Its a LT2 so we don't have the memory switch. SO, I thought that if I left it in her position while I moved it for only a minute that it would be nicer for her to get back into it.

I am a big guy and when I pushed against the steering wheel to get my legs under it the lumbar popped back.

Crap, Now I have to get it fixed for her...

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Bet she was not happy about that LOL would have been better off just changing the setting.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
If you have a decent dealer they should fix it even if you are over .
I am going to assume you bought it new ,so there are two things that will extend your
36/36
1, How many days has it been in a dealer for service ?
2,How many miles when on it when you took delivery ?
My wife's Malibu for example had 250 miles on it when I took delivery ,so the warranty is 36,250 .
If none of that works call Chevrolet Customer Assistance 800-222-1020.They have been a lot more lenient since the bankruptcy .
I hope this helps ,let us know what happens .

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
My brother helped me fix this tonight. I guess we were bored...

All it was was a broken screw that fastens the Lumbar into the seat.

I would think that this is a safety feature... My wife weighs a little over 100lbs and she has that seat all the way forward. Not to mention she likes to have the lumbar out too. If she were to get into a front end collision with the air bag deploying I would like to think that the lumbar giving way would be better for her back...

Broken Screw
2011-08-29_22-23-36_401.png

2011-08-29_21-59-41_17.jpg

2011-08-29_22-00-09_397.jpg

2011-08-29_21-59-31_698.jpg

I had a air stapler gun that doesn't work anymore so I took a screw with that with perfect fit fine screws.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Never thought about it doing that for safety but it would be a good thing. Nice that you got it fixed.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Saves the headache of the dealership... I don't know if they would have covered it on the warranty or not but if they did it would have been an hour of labor,disconnection of air bag and probably air bag diagnostic once reinstalled.... $$$

daneholman

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen. The lumbar is built very cheaply. The dealer repaired the unit and then it broke again 2 months later. This is what I hate about modern cars. Cheap plastic parts.

NoobNox

Reaction score
Saves the headache of the dealership... I don't know if they would have covered it on the warranty or not but if they did it would have been an hour of labor,disconnection of air bag and probably air bag diagnostic once reinstalled.... $$$
Nope, I had the same thing happen to mine (popped screw) and I was in and out of the dealer in under 30 minutes. Hasn't been a problem since...and that was over a year ago.
Covered under the bumper to bumper btw..

carfan

Reaction score
Hi also have a 2010 Equinox LTZ, which we just broke the driver side lumbar on it, have 81,000 miles on it and heard a pop while driving down to Az.
Called a few dealerships and they wanted $300 - $460 to fix, went to a car upholstery shop and they took apart the back of the seat and it also had a broken bolt on it. It's about a #8 [1/16"] He drilled it out and put 1/4" bolts on both sides, took about an hour to do, and charged me $50. Hope this helps those of you that are off warranty as these bolts from factory are way to small to support a drivers weight [ I'm about 190 lbs.] over a period of time.

ziggenpuss

Reaction score
Thank you for this forum, this just happened to our equinox, and I found this post, could I ask you how you removed the back panel of the drivers seat to get to the broken bolt?
For some reason the first photo is not showing on my PC, thank you for any help.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Thank you for this forum, this just happened to our equinox, and I found this post, could I ask you how you removed the back panel of the drivers seat to get to the broken bolt?
For some reason the first photo is not showing on my PC, thank you for any help.

There are some plastic clips that start under the seat from the back side. I didn't get a photo of those but you just have to start pulling them off to get the leather off. You have to get to the lumbar from the back seat.

dfreas2010equinox

Reaction score
Hoping someone sees this comment. I'm having the same issue with my 2010 equinox (2LT with leather seats). Cannot figure out how to unhinge the leather from the back of the seat. There seems to be two "stretchy bands" that won't come off and I don't have a good view of how to do it under the seat. I'm not seeing/feeling any plastic clips that I could undo.

Anyone able to provide pictures/description of how to do it? My plan is to eventually film it and upload it to youtube. Thanks!

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Hoping someone sees this comment. I'm having the same issue with my 2010 equinox (2LT with leather seats). Cannot figure out how to unhinge the leather from the back of the seat. There seems to be two "stretchy bands" that won't come off and I don't have a good view of how to do it under the seat. I'm not seeing/feeling any plastic clips that I could undo.

Anyone able to provide pictures/description of how to do it? My plan is to eventually film it and upload it to youtube. Thanks!

I can't remember but I think there was a long plastic clip that went under the back of the seat.

Did you ever figure it out?

Members online

No members online now.