Humming noise front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

equinox6767

Reaction score
I have a 09 Chevy equinox fwd. It's making a whirling/humming noise coming from the passenger side. I put it on the lift wheel doesn't have any play side to side or up and down so assuming wheel bearing is ok. I was thinking maybe jackshaft bearing where axle goes into jackshaft it feels warm on bracket where bearing is on jackshaft but not sure if that's just from exhaust? It shifts fine through all gears smoothly. When on the lift the driver's side wheel spins while in drive no gas given but the passenger side hardely moves unless given gas. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be. Any ideas what the issue can be?

corvairbob

Reaction score
without having it in front of me, my first guess would be a wheel bearing the intermediate bearing are pretty good bearings. the wheel bearing can make noise and not show any movements when you do the up down side to side. check out this YT and see if your car is doing this

equinox6767

Reaction score
without having it in front of me, my first guess would be a wheel bearing the intermediate bearing are pretty good bearings. the wheel bearing can make noise and not show any movements when you do the up down side to side. check out this YT and see if your car is doing this

I changed the intermediate shaft bearing as it was crunchy when I was spining it off the car. The noise is still there. I have 2 new wheel bearings I got for $100 for the pair I'm going to slap them on today and see if noise goes away. Figure not bad idea to have new hubs anyway

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok good luck i'm surprised on the inter bearing as they normally hold up for long time. but being an 09 i guess it may be about time. but those bearing do not really do much work. kind of like the midship on a truck they do fail but not often. thanks for the update.

equinox6767

Reaction score
ok good luck i'm surprised on the inter bearing as they normally hold up for long time. but being an 09 i guess it may be about time. but those bearing do not really do much work. kind of like the midship on a truck they do fail but not often. thanks for the update.
New wheel bearings solved the issue

Members online