How to Permemnatly Disable Auto Stop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

don_equiknotts

Reaction score
I looked up several YouTube videos on how to disable the auto-top feature in the 2018 Chevy Equinox (put it in L, + sign up to sixth gear, then back to drive). Which does work, but only for a time. It reverts back after you return to your vehicle. Is there a way to disable this permanently?

57chevythunder

Reaction score
I looked up several YouTube videos on how to disable the auto-top feature in the 2018 Chevy Equinox (put it in L, + sign up to sixth gear, then back to drive). Which does work, but only for a time. It reverts back after you return to your vehicle. Is there a way to disable this permanently?
-LOVE your username !!
Okay, my short answer is simply this: Never use the "D" position on the transmission selector.

We have had our 2019 now for three years, and it has become totally brainless habit for us to always use the "L" position. And assuming that you want to your transmission to automatically use all 6 speeds, then yes you need to press the "+" button five times so that the display on the instrument panel reads "L6".

I don't know where you got the wrong information that you need to shift back into drive?? -just leave it in L6, and you have the fully automatic six speed transmission like it should be, but without the stupid "stop/start" feature ever activating.

I was never eager to try the "wiring kit" that others have mentioned, but apparently it works fine for them. Guess that leaves the choice up to you. -personally I like the method without any alterations or modifications.

Let us know what you decide !!

Flash

Reaction score
My wife's 21 Premier has it, doesn't seem to bother us.

Severum17

Reaction score
I have a 2018 1.5 Hated the auto stop/start.
Bought this from Amazon

Make sure you get the right plug, big or small.
Worked like a charm for me. Took about 3 minutes to install, including opening the hood. No more stop/start BS, no codes and my remote start still works.
Its all good for me.
Good luck!

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and the amazon plug works. 2019 doesn’t have the button to turn it on and off so the only other option was to go into manual and put it on 6. Very annoying. For $20 this cable is worth it. Wish I would have installed when we first got the car.

renchjeep

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and the amazon plug works. 2019 doesn’t have the button to turn it on and off so the only other option was to go into manual and put it on 6. Very annoying. For $20 this cable is worth it. Wish I would have installed when we first got the car.
Is this connection located under the hood? I have the Amazon bypass harness, just need to install it. I figured for sure it was under the dash somewhere....Thanks!

don_equiknotts

Reaction score
FYI, I ended up buying this cable and installing it. Was very easy (just zip tied it down). But I had to remove it, after my wife said she lost power when trying to drive it over a bumpy rail road tracks. Was almost like it wasn't getting gas/power when hitting the pedal. Removed it again, and everything is fine now. Any thoughts on that? Otherwise I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
I have one on both my equinox’s that hooks up to the battery sensor . Works great no issues was a little pricey but I read lots of reviews on the hood latch one where people said the remote start was affected and that I can’t live without !!

davem

Reaction score
I have one on both my equinox’s that hooks up to the battery sensor . Works great no issues was a little pricey but I read lots of reviews on the hood latch one where people said the remote start was affected and that I can’t live without !!
I had the problem of remote start not working after I installed the hood latch cable. It was my error. I inserted the connector on the right hand side upside down. Once I corrected this, auto stop start continued to work and remote start was working again. Maybe this explanation will help others that did the same thing I did. A shame that there isn't something on the connectors that only let you insert it the correct way.

SteveK

Reaction score
The tow/haul switch can be used as an on/off switch for the auto stop. The one I have is in front of shifter beside the AWD

SteveK

Reaction score
OK, so maybe not all Equinox have this button. It is on my 2019 Premier and the manual says auto stop is disabled when in tow mode.

Did a run and turned on Tow/Haul. the engine still shut off until the brake was released.

Last edited:

InkyDoggy

Reaction score
I just bought my 2019 premier model yesterday and didn't know it had the auto stop until my drive home. I tried the shift into L then bumped up to gear 9 and that works okay but I keep forgetting to do the shift then bump the + to go up to gear 9 so I ordered the eliminator off Amazon to fix it. I had this feature in a 2016 Cruze RS and hated the feature and I also do not want it in this car either.

InkyDoggy

Reaction score
I purchased the small cable that is sold on Amazon that plugs inline with the wire harness near the hood latch. It now runs like a regular car and no longer stops the engine at a red light or a stop sign. If it gets that bad to buy gas that I need a car to shut off every time I stop it then I will get a bicycle because then the fuel is 50 dollars a gallon or more.

Members online