Hitch cover thumb screw failure...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Equinox1869

Reaction score
2018 2.0T...
Rear hitch cover keeps coming loose and screws disappear.
When vehicle was under warranty the dealer eventually replaced the whole rear section as the cover had fallen off twice and been lost, as well as the screws.
At $50+ for the cover and $9 each for the screws I was happy that the issue was solved... until recently when it has happened again!
Out of warranty and luckily I have the cover although it's pretty scuffed.
Any help/ideas on how to better control this annoying issue without going drastic with the Gorilla Glue???
The screws are 1/4 turn thumbs and appear to lock in well enough to secure.
I'm thinking that over time they somehow vibrate loose...

Last edited:

renossuv

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 2019 Equinox. First time it was completely gone thing it was stolen. I bought a replacement from eBay and used two sets of Hex head screws, washers and a lock nut. This would prevent it from vibrating loose or the casual thief.

Equinox1869

Reaction score
2018 2.0T...
Rear hitch cover keeps coming loose and screws disappear.
When vehicle was under warranty the dealer eventually replaced the whole rear section as the cover had fallen off twice and been lost, as well as the screws.
At $50+ for the cover and $9 each for the screws I was happy that the issue was solved... until recently when it has happened again!
Out of warranty and luckily I have the cover although it's pretty scuffed.
Any help/ideas on how to better control this annoying issue without going drastic with the Gorilla Glue???
The screws are 1/4 turn thumbs and appear to lock in well enough to secure.
I'm thinking that over time they somehow vibrate loose...
I ordered 2 new thumb screws and compared then to the one remaining... the issue seems to be that the tiny locking tabs wear over time and then eventually vibrate loose.
I am going to try a better way to secure it w/o relying on those 1/4 turns.

Last edited:

Equinox1869

Reaction score
Since I had purchased the new thumb screws I simply wrapped some electrical tape around the tabs, reestablished the hole and pushed the screws through...
There is no longer any play and the cover fits snug.

Staff online

Members online