Hi, Im Dee and am looking for some advice on my 2017 Equinox 2.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWEETD8573

Reaction score
Hi, Im Dee and am looking for some advice on my 2017 Equinox 2.4

dgstarr

Reaction score
The 2.4 is probably the least reliable engine built by GM in recent years and will eventually fail. If it is running OK, sell it now and replace the car with an 18-22 Equinox. The engines in these are much better. I am sorry to inform you of this, but if you read this and other Equinox-Terrain forums you will see what I am getting at.

hseiff

Reaction score
We've got a 2011 w 139,000 miles on it with few problems (other than GM rebuilding the engine for oil burning earlier at no cost, but that problem should have been long gone by 2017). What does Dee want advice on?

No Tyme

Reaction score
I believe that is the same motor that blew in my daughter Buick Encore. Glad it was still under warranty.

drifty

Reaction score
I drive a 2016 LT with a bit over 100k miles on the 2.4 bought new. It has been an awesome SUV! No problems what so ever, just maintenance. No oil burning or other issues. Got 80k miles out of the factory 16" Michelins because I'm pretty diligent about rotating them. Great tires, I replaced the same tires but cost was $225 a piece at Tire Rack! We have driven it to Florida half dozen times, Colorado once and Ohio too many times to count (we live by St. Louis) It has performed so well, we bought a new 2017 Premier for my wife with leather and lots of other options the 2016 doesn't have like heated seats & power rear hatch opener. At 72k miles no issues with the 2.4 or anything else. Although my wife prefers the ride of the 2016 as her "NOX" has the low profile 17" Michelins and a bit stiffer suspension. Kinda waiting to see how the New NOX with the Turbo 1.5 holds up, seems like such a small engine that needs a turbo to just "get around" I can only imagine a turbo on my 2.4, as it zips along pretty well without one!

comp

Reaction score
i have a 17 no issues yet at 70k but im planning for the future lol

Gmcdean

Reaction score
You definately want to do synthetic oil changes every 3000 miles or 5000km. Go to Terrain Forum and search valve cover cap. Maybe a link or discussion on this site about it. I don't know your milage but adhere to fluid changes like tranny, coolant, and so on. YouTube on how to check PCV valve. The 2017 seems to have less problems than other years. Also YouTube on listening and checking timing chain. The frequent oil changes will go a long way.
Good Luck

Staff online

Members online