help with removing the cat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvairbob

Reaction score
i have a 2013 aed 2.4 equinox in my garage that belongs to the kid. well it managed to blow out the timing chain and i found the water pump weeping. so i have the chain out and the pump out and when i removed the exhaust manifold i found a broken stud located to the water pump side at the bottom. well i tried to drill it out and lucky me i managed to drill into that port the is between the stucd. so tell me how much water is going to come out of the port? if i have to pull the head off this think i might as well pull the engine out and take it all apart and re ring it and check the bearings and do them as well if needed?

the oip pump is perfect i had to take off the pan to clean out the oil pickup that was full of plastic. so if that port i managed to put a 3/32" hole dead center is going to weap water i guess i'm in for more than i was hoping for. because now i may have to pull the head to make a plug to put back in that hole.

i tried to get the cat out of the way but for the life of me i can't get it to pull out thru the bottom without removing some more tin and then it just may not come out. to be honest i should have let her take it to a mechanic as i'm just getting to old for this s@@*t . so and being the head bolts are now torque to yield i have those and a head gasket to get if i have to pull. it and whatever other gaskets that are in the area.

i have the valve cover seal and the exhaust gasket and cat o ring the water pump and timing set in the mail. so what am i in for here if that port i messed up turns out to be a water port? if it is the exhaust gas recirculation then i may be fine.

tell me if i cut the cat off at the 90 deg bend will it pull up thru the top? i do not want to cut that off and fine it will not pull up thru the top and then i have to go to the muffler shop and have them make me a splice, if i pull it out i will gut it and be done with that issue.

anyway can anyone help me out here. if that is a recert port i guess i can make a bolt fit into it to help hold back exhaust gasses. but i have to get the cat out of the way so i can drill out the broken bolt. thanks for any help and ideas.

if i find i have to pull the head what rings can i put into it for a re ring that will hold up with just removing the ridge at the top of the cylinders. and bearings. i can plastic gage them but i think if the crank looks good they should be fine and fut put in standard bearings. before i pull the head i will do a compression to see how that is so that might tell me if i need to mess with the valves.

superd

Reaction score
Looking at the date of your post, I'm betting you solved the issue....In my case it was the timing chain, and I chose to do the water pump since I was in there. I removed the head to do a valve job, and also had I'm sure the same issue removing the Cat. I ended up dropping the entire exhaust from the tail pipe forward....the only way I could get the cat out was by removing an Iron bracket that bolts to the block, held on with one 15mm nut, that allowed me to remove it from underneath.

Members online

No members online now.