Help! My Equinox keeps dying!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
2011 Equinox 2.4L Ecotec engine. Just purchased from an individual. When I test drove it, it drove fine no issues. Drove it a couple of days, and then it started to stall and die randomly, with no error codes. Cleaned MAF and throttle body, no fix. Found out about the issue with the actuator solenoids so I changed them. While I had it taken apart, I changed spark plugs that were a little carbon fouled. Put everything back, and the issue was still there but worse. It started to die more often. Got a pending P0506 so I cleaned the throttle body and there was no change, so I replaced it, along with the MAF sensor. Ran well for two days, but then today it started to die and now I got the CEL with P0171, a P0131 and a P0137. I really hate to keep throwing parts at it, but at this point I can't seem to find anything else wrong. First it was too rich (P0506) now it's too lean (P0171). I've tried to find vacuum leaks but can't find any so I figured I'd ask before I replace both Oxygen Sensors (which I find weird for both to die at the same time) unless what I'm having is a computer issue. Any thoughts?

corvairbob

Reaction score
did you say you put in 2 new vvt control soleniods? i did that on my girls 2013 and for some reason it threw tons of codes so i cleaned the old ones and put them back and the codes went away. and the guys on this site had no clues why it did that. but maybe some can help out now.

also when you were messing aournd by any chance did you unlpug the 02 sensors of pinch a wire being you got both voltage low for both sensors you may have a ground wire off soemplace also. so chack around the area you were working and see if by change you ahve a piched wire or a ground wire off or brocken. pinched would be nothing as then it wousl still be grounded. but it may ahve broken or is jus thangning lose and you missed it. on my girls car the 02 sensor wires are in and around the back and drivers side of the engine. good luck

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and replaced the oxygen sensors and it looks like that's finally fixed the issues. I'm not getting error codes any longer and most of the sensors are showing ready. I need to drive it a little more to reset the EVAP monitor but I think it's finally good.

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
true,,,,and why would it NOT throw a O2 code ???
It did. P0131 and P0137
very unusual both 02 sensors went out at the same time. but time will tell for sure.
I've read that sometimes when the 1st one dies the second one may not get accurate reads so it will also show a code but I figured I'd change them both to be sure. Seems to be OK right now. As you said, time will tell

corvairbob

Reaction score
that really is not the normal 02 code that was for power getting to the sensor like the ground wire not makeing a good connection that is why i said to double check the wires to make sure they are not broke pinched in something or even the connectors were lose.

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
that really is not the normal 02 code that was for power getting to the sensor like the ground wire not makeing a good connection that is why i said to double check the wires to make sure they are not broke pinched in something or even the connectors were lose.
Wires and harnesses looked to be in good condition and well connected so I don't think that was the issue.

comp

Reaction score
what Brand O2 sen. is best in these ??

corvairbob

Reaction score
well i guess any would work fine but some will come back and say genuine gm brand. i use parts form all brands and sometimes it bites me in the keister

corvairbob

Reaction score
Wires and harnesses looked to be in good condition and well connected so I don't think that was the issue.
that is good then like i said that issue was not a normal issue to have both b1 and b2 fail. but when you changed them you may have move the harness enough to get a good connection. if that comes back then research that particular code for what can cause it. i looked it up and it was related to the power side of the sensors. i have since deleted the tabs that talked about the codes. maybe others can stop by and clarafy those code some more.

corvairbob

Reaction score
so if you did not dump the gas and just put in 2, 02 sensors i'm not betting on someone put crap in you gas. but if you did run that gas out and then refill it, then that crap in the gas is a possibillity. i put midgrade gas in my s10 truck last year by mistake and it ran like crap. i had to drain the tank and refill it and then it ran good again. so moedaddy74 may not be far off if you did run the tank down and refill about the same time you changed the 02 sensors.

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
I suppose the previous owner could have put bad gas since I've only filled it up once since purchased. Regular unleaded from Shell since that's what I ran on my 08 Ford Taurus X and never had an issue.

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok but your first post said you got this and drove it for a rew days, it ran good! so that rules out bad gas from the other owner unless it ran low on gas and started this before you filled the tank.

if it ran good and ran low on gas and continued to run good untill you filled it then it started to run bad you may have got a tank of bad gas. now even after you did this parts changing and other work and it started to run good have you filled the tank again? if so it just may be as meodaddy said you either had soem floating bad gas, or you got a tank of bad gas or picked the wrong blend. i did that and had the same issues, and then during the work and parts you again filled the tank and got some good gas again and now it is running good.

did i explain that well enough for you to undersand?
1 had bad gas from the seller that was floating on top of the gas it came with
2 you got gas and then it started to run bad, you may have picked e85 if your car is not rated for that gas it can run bad
3 you had issues and did a ton of work and parts changes and then got antoer tank of good gas and it started to run good again
like i say i have been there and done that and sometimes you can get bad gas form a known good station. gas tankers can haul anything in them but they can't haul anything people consume or put on their bodies. they can haul chemicals water for waste or oil fields they can haul oil drain oil waste oil brine. and of course gas or kerosine fuel oil etc. but no consumable fluids or fluids you put on your body as they never really get the tanks absolutly clean and dry.

so like i say you may have got a tank full after some bad stuff was put in the station tanks

keep us in this loop! if the codes return then it more than likely is electrical or mechanical and not gas related. good luck

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
I had been running it for a couple of days after purchase when it started to idle rough. Change all the other parts thinking it would fix it but it still had issues, but it was running low on gas, so I filled it up. On the way to the gas station I got the 3 codes. After replacing the 2 O2 sensors I haven't had issues anymore. I'm at between the 1/2 and the 3/4 marks on my first fill up.

Hope that makes sense now.

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok it is possible it did have some bad gas that the junk was floating and as it burned it messed with the sensors, and then you filled it and got some good gas and it is working it's way thru and cleaning iself out and running better. if it continuse to run better after a few fillups then it is possible the other owner happen on some bad gas and you bought that as well.

like i say i drove into a station that is popular downthe road i have got gas there lots of times and even after this issue. anyway i filled the tank and i do not drive this truck much so when i started havine issues, codes misfires no starts and poor driving i thought wow plugs then wires then 02 sensors and then someone told me if this started after i filled up and i hit me that it did. i drained the tank and put in fresh gas and bam it ran perfect and perfect ever since. so it can happen. my gas did not look bad but it had alcohol smell so i think i got some e85 or the tanker put e85 in the regular ground tanks in error, it can happen. good luck to you

napajack

Reaction score
2011 Equinox 2.4L Ecotec engine. Just purchased from an individual. When I test drove it, it drove fine no issues. Drove it a couple of days, and then it started to stall and die randomly, with no error codes. Cleaned MAF and throttle body, no fix. Found out about the issue with the actuator solenoids so I changed them. While I had it taken apart, I changed spark plugs that were a little carbon fouled. Put everything back, and the issue was still there but worse. It started to die more often. Got a pending P0506 so I cleaned the throttle body and there was no change, so I replaced it, along with the MAF sensor. Ran well for two days, but then today it started to die and now I got the CEL with P0171, a P0131 and a P0137. I really hate to keep throwing parts at it, but at this point I can't seem to find anything else wrong. First it was too rich (P0506) now it's too lean (P0171). I've tried to find vacuum leaks but can't find any so I figured I'd ask before I replace both Oxygen Sensors (which I find weird for both to die at the same time) unless what I'm having is a computer issue. Any thoughts?
Maybe oil fouled from the 2.4 motor from the recall on oil consumption?

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
Thanks. It seems to be getting better a little bit at a time, with less hesitation at stops so maybe it is burning through the last of the old gas.

BTW, anyone here recommend a good injector cleaner in case some bad gas did gum up the system?

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
Maybe oil fouled from the 2.4 motor from the recall on oil consumption?
Well, that's why I changed the actuators which were a bit dirty, but I guess it's possible that it had already damaged the sensors

Members online

No members online now.