Hello everyone, thanks for the addition - problem with a locked radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdephillips1995

Reaction score
I found this forum and I hope someone can help. I purchased a 2012 Chevy Equinox LT that is in great shape except for a few scratches. Biggest issue is the radio is locked. I bought the car from a used car dealer and got them to lower the price based on the locked radio. They didn't know anything about the radio and the Carfax didn't mention it.

When I start the car the radio screen comes on and then changes to a simple message "Locked". The backup camera and heating/AC controls work. All of the center console buttons work. Just no response from any of the buttons to turn on/off the radio, change sources, tuning stations, or preset buttons.

l looked online and I tried removing and replacing the fuse for the radio and I tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. I took the radio out to check connections and get the model number. I found online a phone number you can call and enter a code to unlock the radio. I can't find any code in the car. There is also no option to enter a code on the radio. Pressing preset buttons doesn't do anything.

I took the car to the Chevy dealer I take my 2018 Equinox to but they said the radio is not the correct radio that came with the car and they can't unlock the radio. They can't get another radio from GM. They overcharged me to tell me this (my mistake) and suggested getting an aftermarket radio from Best Buy or finding a place that works on car audio. I'm concerned about buying another radio because what if the car says that radio is also Locked. I found the same model I already have online but web sites say it may have to be unlocked at the dealer. I'd rather not spent $300-$500 for a new radio. This car is for my daughter and she doesn't listen to music very often but I'd like to have the Bluetooth working for her cell phone. Plus I enjoy music if I ever have to drive her car. Right now we're driving in silence or using the phone for music.

BTW I searched online for the correct radio model for a 2012 Equinox LT and the model 22807201 (GM Part Number) is the same on the radio I have now and what came up in my online search, so I don't know why the dealer would tell me the radio I have is not the correct model. Maybe they meant the radio I have is not the radio that came with the car, which could be possible. The radio may have been replaced with the same model.

I've attached some pictures below. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7180.jpg
    IMG_7180.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7181.jpg
    IMG_7181.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7187.jpg
    IMG_7187.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7188.jpg
    IMG_7188.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7189.jpg
    IMG_7189.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7190.jpg
    IMG_7190.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7191.jpg
    IMG_7191.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 6

mdephillips1995

Reaction score
Problem solved. I found an unlocked radio on eBay from someone in Colorado. After exchanging messages and talking on the phone it turns out my car had a 2013 radio in it. The 2012 radio has a different serial number. He sold me the unlocked radio and it worked upon installation. I'm able to listen to the radio, CD player, stream music from the phone, use all of the personalization menus, and use the phone via Bluetooth. Only issue now is OnStar is programmed in Spanish so all of the commands to pair the phone via Bluetooth are in Spanish. I figured it out and can still use the phone. I called OnStar and they suggested having the dealer look at changing the language. No big deal since I don't subscribe to OnStar and the rest of the radio menus are all in English. The part number is 22869279 GM977A.

Members online

No members online now.