Headliner Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gklaum

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Equinox LTZ for 3 weeks and noticed about a week ago that the headliner inside the cab had disconnected from its supports and had begun to sag down. It was especailly prounounced by the first dome light by the rear seat. There is a 2nd set of these conical section between the 1st dome light and 2nd dome light where this has also happened. Evidently GM utilizes conical supports glued to the headliner that have magnets on the other end. The glue is not sufficiennt to hold the headliner. Brought it to the dealership and there was a GM bulletin specifying a fix with a new glue. it is special order so I will have to bring it back. Supposedly they have to remove the headliner from the vehivccle to fix. Dealership tried to use the double sided tape for an interim fix but after an hour that failed also. I'll keep you updated when they get the new glue.

gklaum

Reaction score
I have the 2010 Equinox LTZ with the headliner drooping. The fix is a special glue which I will be having done @ the dealership. This appears to be a problem as I have also reported this on another Equinox website

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php

where this problem has been expereinced. I will let you know if this fix works.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
That would be great man... From what I remember all GM said in the service bulletin was they were going to use another glue... The problem being that the glue was on back order or special order...

So now I am guessing that they have performed that task on yours and now its the wait and see game???

Thanks for the Update! Hopefully it lasts!

gklaum

Reaction score
I had posted in the past about my 2010 Equinox which I took delivery on 8/18/10. Within 2 weeks of taking delivery I noticed my headliner drooping (NO Sunroof). Today I brought to dealer to have the GM specified glue (Epoxy). Evidently the reason your headliner is drooping is becasue there are a series of small white plastic brackets about 3"x1" with a standoff that holds a round magnet. This bracket is glued to the underside of the headliner in various locations. The magnets hold the center potions of the headliner to the roof. What is happening is in the southern hot climates, on the hottest of hot days the glue softens and the plastic bracket separates from the headline. I imagine this can happen in any region but supposedly more common in the southern hot regions.

Today the Dealership had the whole headliner apart. Seemed to be good when I left the dealer. Went back to work and within 2 hours the headliner was drooping again. Dealership is ordering a new headliner as of today. Others are having the same problems. Hopefully it will come faster than the ones who have posted their experiences. I agree this should be a recall.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I would hope that most people are like you and I would be and take their vehicles in the second they notice the head liner drooping...

Yeah it should be a recall like in the form of a TSB or whatever just making people become aware of the issue. That way if it becomes an issue with their vehicle they will know to take it into their dealer and tell them that they have to replace the headliner.

gklaum

Reaction score
I had posted in the past about my 2010 Equinox which I took delivery on 8/18/10. Within 2 weeks of taking delivery I noticed my headliner drooping (NO Sunroof). Today I brought to dealer to have the GM specified glue (Epoxy). Evidently the reason your headliner is drooping is becasue there are a series of small white plastic brackets about 3"x1" with a standoff that holds a round magnet. This bracket is glued to the underside of the headliner in various locations. The magnets hold the center potions of the headliner to the roof. What is happening is in the southern hot climates, on the hottest of hot days the glue softens and the plastic bracket separates from the headline. I imagine this can happen in any region but supposedly more common in the southern hot regions.

Today the Dealership had the whole headliner apart. Seemed to be good when I left the dealer. Went back to work and within 2 hours the headliner was drooping again. Dealership is ordering a new headliner as of today. Others are having the same problems. Hopefully it will come faster than the ones who have posted their experiences. I agree this should be a recall.

I finally couldn't help myself as the only two (2) supports that didn't hold the headliner with the new GM glue were right by the first dome light by the back seat. I went to Home Depot and got Loctite® Epoxy Instant Mix™ 5 Minute and tried it out. I epoxied and left Headliner sagging for 48 hours. After 48 hours I pushed it up in place where the magnets on the conical supports grab and it has been holding now for 48 hours. Keeping my fingers corssed but it looks good.

rbiggers

Reaction score
My mother-in-law finally got her new 2011 Equinox LTZ 3 days ago. We were all in it tonight and noticed this same problem. Guess it's back to the dealership again.

rbiggers

Reaction score
Yeah, if I can ever catch her at home during the day I'll get some pics. It is freakin' sweet! I am amazed by all of the options on it! The headliner will stick for a while when I press it back against the roof, but it comes back down after a while.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
You know I had a 2005 Trailblazer that had this problem and I had to take it to the dealer to get fixed.
What did GM do? Buy a 10 year supply of Elmer's Glue?
You just wait, if my Terrain has this problem I am writing a nasty letter to GM.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I keep wanting to check the Nox for this problem.. I am not in it long enough to make such a assessment I guess... I need to make time for these things.

rbiggers

Reaction score
Nope, haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Maybe after thanksgiving. It isn't very noticeable. But it creaks and that's what got our attention first.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
But it creaks and that's what got our attention first.
The Trailblazer would do that when it got cold out and that's I found out I had a problem.
They fixed it and I never had a problem after that.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
The Trailblazer would do that when it got cold out and that's I found out I had a problem.
They fixed it and I never had a problem after that.

You know I took my truck in for something like that... What it was was I used something in the seals around the door and all through the door jams and it creaked like crazy because of it....

I thought my truck was made of wood... :lol:

Members online

No members online now.