HAS GM FIXED THE 2.4 (in the Equinox) ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

POPFIXR

Reaction score
Hi Folks, does anyone know if 2.4 engine issues still exist in newer Equinox models ? I am referring to problems such as oil consumption, bad timing chains/tensioners and any other known issues. I am considering buying one 2014 or newer. Thanks for your help....

Richard

Reaction score
As far as I know they have not, fix one another pops up. To much car not enough engine. I just traded my 2012 2.4 for a 2015 with the V6 now it can merge onto the interstate.

ilyk2ski

Reaction score
Yes from what ive read up on it has been fixed from 2014 and up. The 2.4 also does just fine merging onto the hwy also. I do it everyday and never have problems. Use the on ramp for what it's purpose is for.....accelerating up to hwy speeds.

sheather

Reaction score
Low oil 2015

I have a 2015 and In one months time it’s lost 2-3 liters of oil. No indication.
In my warranty tracker has a special coverage added In. I can’t find what it means yet.
This is the first this has happened.
Pretty nervous.

burnbomber

Reaction score
No problem here with our 2010, getting ready for it's 10th birthday. Very pleased with it's current condition, however I've got 2 balky electrics needing fixin--
the manual shift button, to replace the shift lever
drivers seat belt switch needs another as the light mostly stays on.

burnbomber

Reaction score
Driver's side seat belt switch fixed itself, but I've put 15k miles this month, moving north. It's got a little high speed brake shimmy (turn rotors 1st time) and a very slight hesitation off idle and part throttle.

The 2.4 has plenty of power; I've been hauling heavy loads at high speed. Doing some 90+ cruising with the empty. You've got to put your foot in it and when you do, it sounds really good.

BTW, hit top end too. This was during the virus shutdown, without trailer. The 2010 2.4 is speed limited at 112 mph. I had plenty of throttle left, too.

TARDIS B

Reaction score
No, my wife's 2015 Captiva Sport with the same engine is blowing through oil. Drinking over a quart on a 500 mile trip to see her family.

Gmcdean

Reaction score
Low oil 2015

I have a 2015 and In one months time it’s lost 2-3 liters of oil. No indication.
In my warranty tracker has a special coverage added In. I can’t find what it means yet.
This is the first this has happened.
Pretty nervous.
Run your vin for recall. The special coverage is for high oil consumption and problems caused by it. I cant remember if it stops at the 14 or 15

drifty

Reaction score
My wife's 2016 LT with the 2.4 has been awesome! Other than normal maintenance, (got 80k out of the factory Michelins) no issues what so ever. With over 120k on the clock, this SUV has been everywhere in all types of weather. It was so good, a year later we added a 2017 Premier with the 2.4 as well. Here it is 2022 and the wife still drives the 2017 Premier and I'm still driving the 2016 LT like it's a race car. We've considered another new one, but I just can't see that tiny 1.5 Turbo lasting any considerable amount of time or miles? BTW, we have a red 2009 Cobalt Coupe with the 2.4 as a backup vehicle that just screams down the road. Hasn't been quite as reliable as the Nox but very fun to drive!

Members online

No members online now.