Gassy/exhaust smell coming From A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hivuhltage

Reaction score
I have a strong smell coming from the air conditioner of my 2017 2.4 LT. The best way to describe the smell is that it's similar to exhaust or gasoline. It occurs when the fan is around medium to high and even more so when A/C is turned on. I haven't run any dye to check for any leaks yet but has anyone had similar problems?

486dx4

Reaction score
Is the A/C working at this point meaning the compressor is running and it is blowing cold? If yes, then probably there is no leak but the dye method with the UV light or using a leak tester is the best way to go with that to make sure. If you have not done so you should check your cabin air filter to see its condition and maybe replace it. It is not that hard to replace - much easier than checking the A/C system for leaks. Also check to see if the smells are present in the engine compartment. There maybe could be some fuel or exhaust leak somewhere and then the smells can come right into the car when you use the heat or A/C.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
switch to Recirculate then see if the smell goes away.

Gmcdean

Reaction score
Also you can buy a spray that will run through the system and kill bacteria and such. Any other symptoms?

Members online