Flat tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbrown0248

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Equinox that I flat tow 4 wheels down behind my motorhome. The battery discharges after about 3 hours of towing. Do you know of any reason I could not disconnect the battery when towing? Would it hurt anything? This is how I towed my Ford Focus prior to getting the Equinox. I called GM tech support and they said I shouldn't because I would have to "reset everything"?? I called the dealer and they said it would not damage anything. Would like to know if anybody of this forum flat tows with battery disconnected.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
I'm no expert on this but do you know why your battery goes down? I haven't set my clock since I bought my 2014 so that might not be a problem. Maybe your pre sets on your radio will be lost and maybe your memory seats but that's a guess. Not too big of a deal.

rbrown0248

Reaction score
I'm no expert on this but do you know why your battery goes down? I haven't set my clock since I bought my 2014 so that might not be a problem. Maybe your pre sets on your radio will be lost and maybe your memory seats but that's a guess. Not too big of a deal.
Thanks. I sent an email to the dealer but have no gotten a response. I don’t want to void my warranty.

mechanicbudd

Reaction score
As an auto mechanic for over 45 years, I'm surprised GM and a dealer said there is no problem. It is an all-wheel-drive vehicle they should never be flat towed Your turning the propeller shafts thus turning the output shafts of the transmission and the gearbox. Without lubricating the transmission thus causing premature burnout. This is why you always flatbed 4 wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles and not tow them with the wheels on the ground. Your battery is going dead because you have it set to the accessory position. Disconnecting the battery will stop the drain. You will have to reset everything, and your computer will have to learn the way you drive all over again. Don't expect it to drive or run the same for a while. It is generally considered a bad Idea even for just a couple of miles. Rent a car trailer from U Haul. Good luck

rbrown0248

Reaction score
As an auto mechanic for over 45 years, I'm surprised GM and a dealer said there is no problem. It is an all-wheel-drive vehicle they should never be flat towed Your turning the propeller shafts thus turning the output shafts of the transmission and the gearbox. Without lubricating the transmission thus causing premature burnout. This is why you always flatbed 4 wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles and not tow them with the wheels on the ground. Your battery is going dead because you have it set to the accessory position. Disconnecting the battery will stop the drain. You will have to reset everything, and your computer will have to learn the way you drive all over again. Don't expect it to drive or run the same for a while. It is generally considered a bad Idea even for just a couple of miles. Rent a car trailer from U Haul. Good luck
My Equinox is front wheel drive not all wheel. It even gives directions in the Owner's manual on how to flat tow.

cavell

Reaction score
Yes. I’m fairly sure newer equinoxes can be flat towed. Like 2020 and newer. I know my 2011 can’t be flat towed.

BowtieBill

Reaction score
I know the previous version can be flat towed as well. But you have to pull a fuse to prevent the battery from draining. There is a switch you can install so that you do not have to remove the battery.
Have you looked in your Manual? There should be a section on whether or not it can be towed 4 down, and how to do it if you can. I know there is a section in my Manual for the 2016 Equinox.
Have you looked at Motorhome Magazine's annual Dinghy Towing Guide? It shows all vehicles that can be towed 4 down, and mentions what you have to do in order to tow it.

rbrown0248

Reaction score
I know the previous version can be flat towed as well. But you have to pull a fuse to prevent the battery from draining. There is a switch you can install so that you do not have to remove the battery.
Have you looked in your Manual? There should be a section on whether or not it can be towed 4 down, and how to do it if you can. I know there is a section in my Manual for the 2016 Equinox.
Have you looked at Motorhome Magazine's annual Dinghy Towing Guide? It shows all vehicles that can be towed 4 down, and mentions what you have to do in order to tow it.
Yes it can be flat towed and I do. My question was does it hurt anything to disconnect the battery when flat towing?

BowtieBill

Reaction score
Yes it can be flat towed and I do. My question was does it hurt anything to disconnect the battery when flat towing?
Sorry. Others were saying not to flat tow, just try to verify that part. But would it not be easier to pull the fuse, or install the switch so you do not have to pull the fuse, rather then disconnect the battery every time? I cannot answer if it hurts anything to disconnect the battery. I doubt that it does.

dman1948

Reaction score
I have a 2011 and IT CAN BE Flat towed. I went and had the proper equipment install, so I can (AND it is 2 wheel drive, AWD no) however you are not supposed to take it over 65mph while being towed, or you could mess up you tranny. and some suggest every time you stop start up the car to let it run a few mins.

Members online

No members online now.