Emissions problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandonbennick

Reaction score
I’m working on my wife’s 2011 2.4. Months ago I got a P0420 code. I saw there was a recall for the cat, checked with the dealer, they said we missed the deadline for it. Had a bad smell, rough idle. So I figured it was a bad cat, replaced it with a new one, plus both o2 sensors. Code went away, but then had a random cylinder misfire code pop up. I did plugs, coils, cleaned the MAF, throttle body and pcv tubing. Code went away but then there was a new one, camshaft position sensor. So I replaced both of those. All codes went away for a few months and it was running better than ever. Now I’m getting a P0420 code again with a rough idle. I’m looking for some insight on what else could be causing the issue. Thanks!

swisscheese

Reaction score
Do you have the excess oil burning issue? Could be clogging the Cat. I have the dreaded P420 also. I clear the code and it reappears about every 2 weeks. Mine still runs very smoothly with solid MPG numbers.

comp

Reaction score
what type of driving do you guys do ?? city/hyway,,,mix? how many miles a day etc, short trips are hell on cats and 02s,,,you use fuel system cleaner reg. ? quality of fuel ? buy at same station or just the cheapest??

Gmcdean

Reaction score
Try a cat cleaner. Maybe some junk left in there from before

pipwax

Reaction score
I’m working on my wife’s 2011 2.4. Months ago I got a P0420 code. I saw there was a recall for the cat, checked with the dealer, they said we missed the deadline for it. Had a bad smell, rough idle. So I figured it was a bad cat, replaced it with a new one, plus both o2 sensors. Code went away, but then had a random cylinder misfire code pop up. I did plugs, coils, cleaned the MAF, throttle body and pcv tubing. Code went away but then there was a new one, camshaft position sensor. So I replaced both of those. All codes went away for a few months and it was running better than ever. Now I’m getting a P0420 code again with a rough idle. I’m looking for some insight on what else could be causing the issue. Thanks!
Did you ever figure it out? I have the same problem but no rough idle. It is running the best it has ever run.

Members online

No members online now.