Drill Bit in Spark Plug Hole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vgoland

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a drill bit fall into the spark plug hole (2020 Equinox( and the car was started. Is there anything that can be done to fix the problem without having to change the entire engine. This picture is from the inside of where the spark plug goes. I believe the drill bit is in the cylinder. ET16_20221027081006.jpg

Last edited:

vgoland

Reaction score
This picture is from the inside of where the spark plug goes. I believe the drill bit is in the cylinder. And the car was started.

northcreek2624

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the picture was taken through the spark plug hole. is that hexagon piece the drill bit ? and how did this happen?

Chevyenginox

Reaction score
If I’m seeing this correctly, the drill bit is embedded in the piston? So if it’s already smashed and embedded it Might be possible just to leave it and run as is, the damage is likely done, but my fear is that if it becomes loose again it could bounce around in there and do more damage. Ideally, you want to pull the head and remove the bit and any remnants. It’s possibly that the engine is fine if it didn’t send bits of metal everywhere. If it sent metal everywhere though you need a new engine. I guess I need more info though… how did it drive with the drill bit in there? If the engine doesn’t run anymore you’re likely screwed.

vgoland

Reaction score
I have not driven the car since this happened. The car is with a mechanic who will pull the head and see if it can be repaired.

Staff online

Members online