dolly towing a 2023 behind class A motorhome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpartansSC

Reaction score
Want to dolly tow a 2023 Equinox LT behind motorhome. Tried a test run loading and unloading the car from the dolly. All good there. However, could not get the electric parking brake to stay off when car was loaded. I used the instructions on page 305 of manual.

Where did I go wrong?

I'm learning everyday.

Thanks

mark

SpartansSC

Reaction score
Apparently there is not anyone from GM or Chevy monitoring this forum. No one has responded. Did another trial run yesterday just to make sure we followed the manual, page 305. Didn't work. As soon as we moved 2ft the parking brake kicked in and locked up the rear wheels.

Anyone have an idea what the missing step or steps are from the manual?

thank you
mark

pktwatch

Reaction score
I have no experience with this but could you just pull the fuse for the parking brake?

SpartansSC

Reaction score
I have no experience with this but could you just pull the fuse for the parking brake?
Thank you for sharing. I suppose that might work but I'm not smart enough to know what else that fuse may or may not effect. The dealer says this is the only process........yet no one knows if it works except me......it doesn't. thanks

Rando

Reaction score
Do you have an all wheel drive Equinox or front wheel only drive? I looked at 2023 operators manual on how electronic parking brake works pages 202, 203. Just thinking outside the box, if you have a front wheel only drive only Equinox, what occurs if you leave the Equinox in a drive gear when you are on the tow dolly? If I am reading how it functions when in drive, the electronic parking brake should not engage?

https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pc...Equinox_OM_en_US_U_84895933B_2022NOV03_2P.pdf

SpartansSC

Reaction score
Do you have an all wheel drive Equinox or front wheel only drive? I looked at 2023 operators manual on how electronic parking brake works pages 202, 203. Just thinking outside the box, if you have a front wheel only drive only Equinox, what occurs if you leave the Equinox in gear when you are on the tow dolly? If I am reading how it functions when in drive, the electronic parking brake should not engage? https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pc...Equinox_OM_en_US_U_84895933B_2022NOV03_2P.pdf
Thank you Rando. It is FWD. I've not tried to leave in gear. Just followed instructions as have been told by the experts. I appreciate you taking the time to share.

slong

Reaction score
Did you ever get an answer? I'm having the same problem. Dealer doesn't know what to do.

SpartansSC

Reaction score
Yes we were finally able to get help. The manual is missing about 6 substeps. I'll have to find my instructions and attach it to this thread. Might take me a few minutes to find. It is not that hard if you know all the steps. Stay tuned

SpartansSC

Reaction score
See if this makes sense. Please excuse my chicken scratch writing.

IF nothing else, look at the top of the page it shows where it came from.

Attachments

• Elec Brake Release 2023 Equinox LT.jpg
    Elec Brake Release 2023 Equinox LT.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 26

slong

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you again. #2 says engine off. It looks like your note says "engine running". Am I reading it wrong?

FNGJWS

Reaction score
I experienced the exact same problem. Follow the instructions in the manual, move the fob well away from the vehicle, and wait for the dash/electronics to go to "sleep" (5-10 minutes?). Problem solved.

Cmaher

Reaction score
Want to dolly tow a 2023 Equinox LT behind motorhome. Tried a test run loading and unloading the car from the dolly. All good there. However, could not get the electric parking brake to stay off when car was loaded. I used the instructions on page 305 of manual.

Where did I go wrong?

I'm learning everyday.

Thanks

mark
I have a 2024 Equinox RS AWD and I am having the same problem. Took it to the service department and they had no idea. They told me to Google it. 🙄

Cmaher

Reaction score
I experienced the exact same problem. Follow the instructions in the manual, move the fob well away from the vehicle, and wait for the dash/electronics to go to "sleep" (5-10 minutes?). Problem solved.

Cmaher

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this post!! It fixed my brake issue!!!

JMac55

Reaction score
So I'm currently at the dealership and the tech is showing me a copy of the pertinent section of the 2023 owner's manual which, oddly enough, has two more steps than what is shown in my 2023 manual: disconnect the negative battery terminal and close the hood. Thanks a helluva lot, GM. I specifically bought this model because I wasn't going to have to disconnect the battery. That's why I downloaded the 2023 manual and confirmed the procedure before buying it. I'm still going to try the suggestion of removing the fob from the vicinity of the car to see if I can avoid using a settings saver. It also doesn't explain why I was initially able to successfully tow the car around the neighborhood several months ago on a short test tow. Maybe I unknowingly used the suggestion above in that instance. 🤔 The tech's explanation for why it worked on the initial short test tow was "You got lucky, the system didn't catch it for some reason." He was dismissive of the remove the fob explanation. Photo shows my manual (which tech said was "generic") and the print out from the specific manual (GM document #6003321).20231218_083558.jpg

Cmaher

Reaction score
So I'm currently at the dealership and the tech is showing me a copy of the pertinent section of the 2023 owner's manual which, oddly enough, has two more steps than what is shown in my 2023 manual: disconnect the negative battery terminal and close the hood. Thanks a helluva lot, GM. I specifically bought this model because I wasn't going to have to disconnect the battery. That's why I downloaded the 2023 manual and confirmed the procedure before buying it. I'm still going to try the suggestion of removing the fob from the vicinity of the car to see if I can avoid using a settings saver. It also doesn't explain why I was initially able to successfully tow the car around the neighborhood several months ago on a short test tow. Maybe I unknowingly used the suggestion above in that instance. 🤔 The tech's explanation for why it worked on the initial short test tow was "You got lucky, the system didn't catch it for some reason." He was dismissive of the remove the fob explanation. Photo shows my manual (which tech said was "generic") and the print out from the specific manual (GM document #6003321).View attachment 2174
I got the same answer from my dealer. We towed it once to the campground and when we went to leave the brakes kept locking up. I ended up driving the car home and my husband drove the RV. We tried your idea with the fob and it worked for the first leg of the trip with no stops. Then after that it quit working so we just disconnected the battery cable. Now I feel to be safe you have to disconnect the battery. I see there have been like three revisions to the manual but I have not been contacted by Chevy yet! There are several formal complaints filed against GM for the misinformation and poor communication. I was sent this bulletin by another Equinox owner. (see the attachment)

Attachments

• GM-update-111723 (3).pdf
    287.9 KB · Views: 5

Members online

No members online now.