Disabling Driver's Seat Sensor Help Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lugnut

Reaction score
I need some suggestion please.

The remote start on my granddaughter's 2011 Equinox LT doesn't work because the check engine light is on due to the Equinox needing a new catalytic converter. Until we can afford to replace the converter, she is using the key to start the car in the morning before school to warm it up but doesn't want to leave it unlocked while it's running. She has a spare key but the car won't lock because no one is sitting in the driver's seat.

How can I disable the seat sensor so the car will lock and still run with a key in the ignition?

If the seat sensor is disabled, will that affect the air bag deployment?

How much weight is needed on the seat to 'trick' the sensor?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited:

ricklack

Reaction score
My 2013 and 2022 both allow me to lock the car with my spare key fob with the engine running.

I don't know how to disable the seat sensor but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Lugnut

Reaction score
My 2013 and 2022 both allow me to lock the car with my spare key fob with the engine running.

I don't know how to disable the seat sensor but it doesn't seem like a good idea.
I'm just going by what my daughter told me. This is my granddaughter's car and my daughter told me that the 2011 wouldn't lock with the car running and no one inside. My mechanic told me about the sensor. But after hearing your response, I'll check it out myself. I appreciate your response.

I have another question. The 2011 doesn't have push button start and requires the key be in the ignition to start. I know the 2022 has a push button start. Does the 2013 require the key to be in the ignition to start or is it also a push button start? Thanks.

Last edited:

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
I need some suggestion please.

The remote start on my granddaughter's 2011 Equinox LT doesn't work because the check engine light is on due to the Equinox needing a new catalytic converter. Until we can afford to replace the converter, she is using the key to start the car in the morning before school to warm it up but doesn't want to leave it unlocked while it's running. She has a spare key but the car won't lock because no one is sitting in the driver's seat.

How can I disable the seat sensor so the car will lock and still run with a key in the ignition?

If the seat sensor is disabled, will that affect the air bag deployment?

How much weight is needed on the seat to 'trick' the sensor?

Thank you for your suggestions.
With the car running, On the radio, if you have a config button, go to vehicle settings, then power door locks, then turn off unlocked door anti lock out, and see if that helps.

Lugnut

Reaction score
With the car running, On the radio, if you have a config button, go to vehicle settings, then power door locks, then turn off unlocked door anti lock out, and see if that helps.
Thanks, I will try that and let you know how that came out.

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try that and let you know how that came out.
I got annoyed with mine unlocking every time I locked it with the door still open, so I changed that from On to Off and it stopped, so maybe it will help her too.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
I'm just going by what my daughter told me. This is my granddaughter's car and my daughter told me that the 2011 wouldn't lock with the car running and no one inside. My mechanic told me about the sensor. But after hearing your response, I'll check it out myself. I appreciate your response.

I have another question. The 2011 doesn't have push button start and requires the key be in the ignition to start. I know the 2022 has a push button start. Does the 2013 require the key to be in the ignition to start or is it also a push button start? Thanks.
Sometimes I take my GPS down from the dash and put it on the passenger seat after I park. If I don't put it back when I get in the car the seatbelt reminder will start chiming so I don't think it takes much weight at all to convince the sensor that there is someone in the seat. I assume the driver's seat works the same.

Lugnut

Reaction score
Sometimes I take my GPS down from the dash and put it on the passenger seat after I park. If I don't put it back when I get in the car the seatbelt reminder will start chiming so I don't think it takes much weight at all to convince the sensor that there is someone in the seat. I assume the driver's seat works the same.
Thanks, I will check that also.

ricklack

Reaction score

The 2013 requires the key to be in the ignition unless you remote start the car.

Members online