DAMN YOU GM!!!! (2005-2006 Nox Fuel pump)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lenn

Reaction score
Ok, so as mentioned in another thread, I thought I was having fuel pump problems. I finally got an afternoon to diagnose the issue yesterday. Here are my findings.

First off, here's normal ops for an Equinox fuel pump.
Normal idle pressure- 56-52psi
After shut off, regulator should only allow <8psi drop off after 5 minutes.

Mine:
Idle pressure: 59psi
After 5 minutes: 47psi
After 15 minutes: 42psi

Weaksauce.

Ok, so no biggie. I need a pressure regulator, right? NO!!! HELLL NO! GM, in their infinite wisdom- decided that a pump with a built in regulator and filter would be better off than seperate units. This summabish costs $497.00 from Autozone!

I've placed a call to the dealer I purchased it from to see if they feel inclined to assist in this purchase since I called only a couple weeks after buying it to inform them that it didnt want to start intermittently. We'll see what they say Monday.

(I knew I should have purchased that Escape instead! LOL :shocked:)

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I hope they help you with that.
The days of getting parts cheep are over and it will never be that way again.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
FYI, I would rather it be a fuel pump with gm than a transmission with the Escape that they are notorious for going out around 80-100k...

On another note the fuel pump from www.gmpartsdirect.com is $331.

But I bet you have to have it now???

Lenn

Reaction score
No... The car runs and drives just fine, its just the intermittent hesitant start that's the hang up. I'm still waiting on the dealer to call me and let me know what their decision is. They didnt directly answer me about my inquiry for assistance with the cost... my salesman told me that he'd look into "his sources" and see if he could find me one cheaper. When he calls me back, I'll inquire about offsetting my portion of the cost. My biggest issue with it right now is that its my wife's primary mode of transport and she always has our <2mo old daughter with her. The last thing I need is the car not to start in a hot ass parking lot somewhere. I think I'd have to kill someone.

I've located a used one for $150. I normally would never go that route but $400-$500 for a pump is a little steep. The military pays ok but not that ok.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Wish I lived closer cause once you hear back from the dealer worst case we could have a new pump installed in a evening.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lenn

Reaction score
Yeah man... nothing a few Natty light tall boys couldnt take care of.

I wonder if this fuel pump is a sign of things to come.......

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Besides the normal things I thought they were pretty good vehicles. I just never liked the look. I love the new Nox that we have.

Lenn

Reaction score
Yeah, I like the new ones alot. I just got a real good deal on this one so I jumped on it. Oddly, I was looking at cars/SUV's that were about $5000 cheaper so as not to have to finance any amount but the dealer got me out of a small hole with my F150.

Big 4x4 American V8 crew cab truck + High gas prices= watching value drop.

I was upside down about $1000 on the truck so I needed that little help.

Lenn

Reaction score
Probably should update this...

So last weekend I bit the bullet and replaced the fuel pump.

There's something missing here...
IMG_20110814_184539.jpg

Oh, found it.
IMG_20110814_184519.jpg

This was a cluster f'ck from the word go. NOTES TO THOSE WHO DECIDE TO KILL A DAY AND DO THIS THEMSELVES!!!! DRAIN THE DAMN TANK FIRST!!!!! I can't believe I thought it'd be easy to lower it with 1/2 tank of fuel. Wrong.

My buddy Matt and I worked on this for 5.5hrs to get the tank out, and replace the pump. Reinstallation of the tank took all of about 30 mins and the exhaust was another 15. Damnit.

The hardest part BY FAR is getting the new lock ring on the new pump to seat on the tank. There's mention of a "water pump tool" in the instructions that came with the pump (as vague and general as they were) and I LOL'ed. We used a 32oz sledge and a prybar to beat the ring locked.

If the tank were empty from the start, it would have been very quick... suprisingly.

1) Remove rear section of exhaust (3 15mm bolts at the flange, swivel sockets or similar needed for the top one).
2) Bleed off pressure from fuel system by the service port on the fuel rail ontop of engine (ensure rag is under this port, you'll get gas everywhere).
3) Disconnect the one fuel line (catch basin needed) and two EVAP lines on the drivers side of tank.
4) Disconnect the one fuel line (catch basin needed), filler neck vent line, and EVAP line on passengers side of tank.
5) Disconnect fuel filler neck tube (easier said than done if its hardened up like mine was).
6) Unhook the two wire harnesses at rear of tank.
7) Supporting the tank with a jack, remove the two retaining straps (12mm sockets) that hold the tank in.
8) Lower tank to ground and disconnect the two wiring connectors on top of fuel pump.
9) Slide that beast out and replace the pump!!!!!!!
10) Reinstall backward instructions.

All connections aside from the one for the fuel filler vent tube are squeeze disconnects so no special tools needed. The vent tube requires ONE use of a quick disconnect tool.... or you can just cut it off because the new pump comes with a new connection.

Ensure you have at LEAST a twelve pack of your favorite adult beverage before you undertake this task.

Oh, and this instructional set needs more cowbell.
Cowbell.gif

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
That is a good write up.
Hope it runs better after all that.

SalsaNox

Reaction score
I wish i would have found this before i undertook the project & figured it out along the way. :banghead::emotions122:

Good write up nonetheless...

*I would also suggest using a fan for better ventilation, & keep a fire extinguisher close by. :flame:

Last edited:

toyhauler1283

Reaction score
I know this may be an old thread but my 2005 equinox is getting worse with its starting problems and 500$ is a lot to spend on a pump that may not fix the problem. Did this fix ur problem ?

Lsisson92

Reaction score
Mine did same thing but I had to do it twice because I thought the new fuel pump was bad well put another one in it and still won’t start. It’s intermittenting no power to the pump replaced the relays , cps, cleaned and checked all connections nothing still can’t figure it out

Allendet

Reaction score
Needless to say I have had the same issues and just replaced my fuel pump.

Staff online

Members online