Cross Country for the 4th time in 6 years!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeydriver

Reaction score
We are moving from the Tucson AZ area to Pinehurst NC. Will be towing a Mazda Miata behind a 26' UHaul truck on an auto transport. Luckily, I have a grandson who is going to drive the truck. My wife and I will be living a little more luxuriously in a 2019 Equinox Premier with the 2.0 and a Chevy tow package. Unfortunately, everything will not fit in the truck. I am thinking about towing a 6 x 12 UHaul trailer behind the Chevy and just trying to load it with the boxes that are mostly air and some lighter weight furniture items ( fragile ) to keep the total weight under the 3500 pound towing capacity. Our route will be across I-10 to I-20 which keeps us on a flatter route across NM, TX, etc. into Atlanta and then up US 1 into Pinehurst NC. I believe the hilliest terrain is eastern AZ and maybe? some places in NM. Has anyone done a long distance tow with this much trailer behind them? What kind of speeds did you feel comfortable with; not only from a safety standpoint but also the health of the drive train? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Scott

CoolDad

Reaction score
If the weight is right there won't be a problem. Watch your temp on the hills, get a trailer with surge brakes and all should be good.

renossuv

Reaction score
I drive a 2019 Redline edition with a 2.0L turbo and tow pkg. I pull my 16ft TT (loaded wt 2800lbs) with surge brakes. Connected using a weight distribution hitch. I drove from west coast to grand canyon, Flagstaff and Phoenix averaging about 65mph. Passing speeds of 75-80 mph. Yes, watch your temp gauge and keep a steady speed during the inclines. Your MPG's will drop dramatically, as I was only getting 14mpg (without A/C). Trailer weight should be 15% less than your towing capacity.

turkeydriver

Reaction score
I drive a 2019 Redline edition with a 2.0L turbo and tow pkg. I pull my 16ft TT (loaded wt 2800lbs) with surge brakes. Connected using a weight distribution hitch. I drove from west coast to grand canyon, Flagstaff and Phoenix averaging about 65mph. Passing speeds of 75-80 mph. Yes, watch your temp gauge and keep a steady speed during the incline???s. Your MPG's will drop dramatically, as I was only getting 14mpg (without A/C). Trailer weight should be 15% less than your towing capacity.
Thanks for the reply. 14 mpg???? Oh boy! I'm going to change tranny filter and fluid before we go. Hoping that mostly flat terrain after west NM will help with mpg and stress on drivetrain. Maybe I can draft behind the 26" U Haul and car hauler ( 2009 Miata ) I'll be following for 2100 miles! :cry:

Scott

Members online