Check engine code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlgolder2

Reaction score
While driving a got a check engine and a DEF warning light on my 2018 Equinox turbo Diesel. The DIC informed me I had about 90 miles before I would be limited to 65 mph. After about 20 miles the DIC message cleared up, the DEF warning light shut off. The check engine light remained. I pulled the code. It was P2BAA. I cleared the code and it has not come back in the last 10 days.
When this happened I was driving in hilly and curvy country. Is it possible air got in the DEF line and triggered the fault? Any thoughts?

VMI87

Reaction score
While driving a got a check engine and a DEF warning light on my 2018 Equinox turbo Diesel. The DIC informed me I had about 90 miles before I would be limited to 65 mph. After about 20 miles the DIC message cleared up, the DEF warning light shut off. The check engine light remained. I pulled the code. It was P2BAA. I cleared the code and it has not come back in the last 10 days.
When this happened I was driving in hilly and curvy country. Is it possible air got in the DEF line and triggered the fault? Any thoughts?
Hi, was wondering if you had resolution on this issue. I have 2019 Equinox Turbo Diesel. I got a P2baa code and drove it to the dealership as soon as the cod popped up. My car has been there since 1 Apr, 39 days so far. They have tried numerous fixes, but nothing has worked. An engineer from GM in Detroit arrived today, but has apparently found nothing yet. Would very much appreciate any insight.

spaycace

Reaction score
I was on a road trip up into the mountains (mountain pass just over 11,000 feet in elevation on the way) with my family and after reaching our destination town which was at roughly 8,000 feet elevation, (give or take a few hundred feet), I got a CEL. I went to the local auto parts store to borrow a code reader (I forgot mine at home) and it showed the P2BAA code, along with the "Service Catalyst Reduction System" error message on the DIC, as well as the dreaded "xx miles to max speed of 65 mph" and the DEF/SCR light was illuminated too. I cleared the CEL with the code reader but the DEF/SCR light stayed on, as well as the countdown of miles. There were 2 or 3 Ignition cycles from the time it started until when the miles remaining reached around 35 to go before reduced speed, and the DEF/SCR light turned off. 2 days later, on the way home, same thing happened again. I sensed some feeling of hesitation at certain times, and all of a sudden, the CEL and DEF/SCR light came on with about 110 miles to go to get home. The difference this time is that I did not have a code reader and we were not planning to stop anywhere on the way. I decided to get off the interstate on the way home when the remaining miles until reduced power was 6 miles. I took an exit ramp, came to a complete stop on the right side of the offramp, and turned the vehicle off, got out, locked it ... waited for about 10 to 20 seconds, then got back in, started it, and it now showed 5 miles to reduced power. When the message flashed 3 miles until reduced power, the DEF/SCR light turned off, and all was apparently back to "normal" again, except the CEL was still on, and I was not going to clear the code this time in order for it to be active when I went to the dealership Monday morning.

I get in the Equinox Monday to head to the dealership after a windshield repair appointment, CEL still illuminated ... but when the Equinox was brought back to me after the windshield repair, OF COURSE the CEL was gone! I took it to the dealership anyway and showed them photos of the gauge cluster/DIC to prove what was happening, as well as the 2 emails I received from OnStar caused by the CEL.

My wife and I have both had an issue with the DEF/SCR light (poor DEF quality and/or Service SCR system) coming on in certain situations, both alerts disappear on their own. I use Blue DEF Platinum, so I highly doubt my DEF quality is bad, and I have no problems using it in my 2018 Cruze Diesel with the same engine. I have seen elsewhere that the DEF injector itself could be bad, which would make some sense. Faulty sensor may make the vehicle think DEF is of poor quality if the system expects more than what the injector is providing.

Either way, Gus-Gus (that what my wife named it, cuz it kinda reminds her of the chubby mouse in Cinderella) is going to the dealership on Thursday (5/12/22) to see if they can pinpoint the cause of all this BS. I'll update this thread when I get some functional results.

My question is ... does anyone have any ideas what would cause the perceived hesitation I felt (not sure if it was engine or transmission) in a diesel?

VMI87

Reaction score
I was on a road trip up into the mountains (mountain pass just over 11,000 feet in elevation on the way) with my family and after reaching our destination town which was at roughly 8,000 feet elevation, (give or take a few hundred feet), I got a CEL. I went to the local auto parts store to borrow a code reader (I forgot mine at home) and it showed the P2BAA code, along with the "Service Catalyst Reduction System" error message on the DIC, as well as the dreaded "xx miles to max speed of 65 mph" and the DEF/SCR light was illuminated too. I cleared the CEL with the code reader but the DEF/SCR light stayed on, as well as the countdown of miles. There were 2 or 3 Ignition cycles from the time it started until when the miles remaining reached around 35 to go before reduced speed, and the DEF/SCR light turned off. 2 days later, on the way home, same thing happened again. I sensed some feeling of hesitation at certain times, and all of a sudden, the CEL and DEF/SCR light came on with about 110 miles to go to get home. The difference this time is that I did not have a code reader and we were not planning to stop anywhere on the way. I decided to get off the interstate on the way home when the remaining miles until reduced power was 6 miles. I took an exit ramp, came to a complete stop on the right side of the offramp, and turned the vehicle off, got out, locked it ... waited for about 10 to 20 seconds, then got back in, started it, and it now showed 5 miles to reduced power. When the message flashed 3 miles until reduced power, the DEF/SCR light turned off, and all was apparently back to "normal" again, except the CEL was still on, and I was not going to clear the code this time in order for it to be active when I went to the dealership Monday morning.

I get in the Equinox Monday to head to the dealership after a windshield repair appointment, CEL still illuminated ... but when the Equinox was brought back to me after the windshield repair, OF COURSE the CEL was gone! I took it to the dealership anyway and showed them photos of the gauge cluster/DIC to prove what was happening, as well as the 2 emails I received from OnStar caused by the CEL.

My wife and I have both had an issue with the DEF/SCR light (poor DEF quality and/or Service SCR system) coming on in certain situations, both alerts disappear on their own. I use Blue DEF Platinum, so I highly doubt my DEF quality is bad, and I have no problems using it in my 2018 Cruze Diesel with the same engine. I have seen elsewhere that the DEF injector itself could be bad, which would make some sense. Faulty sensor may make the vehicle think DEF is of poor quality if the system expects more than what the injector is providing.

Either way, Gus-Gus (that what my wife named it, cuz it kinda reminds her of the chubby mouse in Cinderella) is going to the dealership on Thursday (5/12/22) to see if they can pinpoint the cause of all this BS. I'll update this thread when I get some functional results.

My question is ... does anyone have any ideas what would cause the perceived hesitation I felt (not sure if it was engine or transmission) in a diesel?
My diesel Equinox is in day 41 of service for the P2baa code. The GM engineer has been there for three days now, and they have not been able to rectify the problem. I have retained a lawyer who accepted my case and is going to GM with it.

spaycace

Reaction score
I cleared my code and it hasn't returned ... yet. Took my 'Nox to the dealership on 5/12/22 and of course, they could not replicate the problem, and since there were no active lights illuminated, I got the proverbial "we can't find anything wrong. If the light comes on again, bring it in so we can test it when the problem is active." I only have 3,500 miles of B2B warranty left ... so I'm glad this is emissions related (sort of) and I have another 2 years or 36,000 miles for the problem to be resolved. Keep us informed as to how things work out for you.

VMI87

Reaction score
I cleared my code and it hasn't returned ... yet. Took my 'Nox to the dealership on 5/12/22 and of course, they could not replicate the problem, and since there were no active lights illuminated, I got the proverbial "we can't find anything wrong. If the light comes on again, bring it in so we can test it when the problem is active." I only have 3,500 miles of B2B warranty left ... so I'm glad this is emissions related (sort of) and I have another 2 years or 36,000 miles for the problem to be resolved. Keep us informed as to how things work out for you.
The GM engineer believes my ECM is bad...what the mechanic said on day two of my car being in the shop, but the GM engineers would not listen to him. They have ordered a new ECM, but, of course, it is on back order.

spaycace

Reaction score
The dealership replaced the SCR injector, and thought they had the problem resolved ... but on the drive home from the dealership, the SCR light came on just long enough for me to read the DIC message, and it said 31,098 miles until max 65mph speed. WOW! That's a first. So, I have a feeling the injector was part of the problem, but I think either the pump, or relay might be bad as well. I guess I'll see what happens next time I drive it and/or wait for the SCR light or the check engine light to come on again. I may just go ahead and do what I did to my diesel Cruze (see post #3 above) and go from ther if the problem persists after that.

spaycace

Reaction score
The saga continues… CEL on again 3 days later, code P0421 warm up catalyst efficiency bank 1 below threshold, so it’s at the dealership AGAIN! Most of what I researched on the web says O2 sensor.
I did receive my monthly OnStar diagnostic check email, and it says low battery… so I’m wondering if I truly have a low battery, and that could be causing electronics issues?

bradpc987

Reaction score
Same problems with my 2019 TD. multiple DEF faults. Most of them go away on their own. I have had mine into the dealer 5 or 6 times now and it seems like they're just throwing parts at it. I still have some warranty left. Either way I will be checking in on this thread to update everyone on my journey as well. GO TEAM

Members online