cargo basket & container + other aftermarket towing accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Equinox78

Reaction score
I don't need the added capacity of a trailer more than once every few years (and don't want a trailer on my property), but I did need to increase the cargo capacity of my 2011 'Nox 1LT with a solution I can shovel into and out of conveniently, yet could also use for hauling personal items and equipment that I want to lock up or keep out of the weather. So, I spec'd out a cargo carrier basket and found a well-matched lockable storage bin that fills up most of the basket and also doesn't get in the way of the trunk hatch. I thought I'd post the info to this forum to help out anyone who wants a similar solution.

Here's my setup-

Carrier basket: Haul-Master (2" receiver) from Harbor Freight $100 + shipping. It's aluminum with a steel receiver piece. The frame won't corrode and is very light. And the price is right. My only complaint is that the 2" receiver piece seems a bit too small for my 2" receiver, so I wrapped it a couple times with heavy duty duct tape so the basket wouldn't wiggle so much.
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb...m_term=92655&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=nextag

Container: Rubbermaid 1192 ActionPacker Storage Box ($56 from Amazon with free shipping). Straps down to basket. Fills up most of the cargo basket to optimize volume (48 gallons, or about 7 cubic ft), and at the same time is not too tall because it allows the 2011 Equinox hatch to open for access while the box is on the basket. I can access both the container and the trunk at the same time. Very Lightweight. Very convenient!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CFV0DO/ref=oss_product

I am very satisfied with this solution. I can throw up the basket and container for stuff I need to lock up or keep out of the rain. I can just throw up the basket if I'm hauling logs or large potted plants, etc... If I haul mulch or gravel I can put up just the basket and put in a liner; then I can shovel it right in and out conveniently. Right now I use a tarp as a liner but am ultimately looking for an open top rubber/plastic tub/bin that fills up most of the basket. Or if I can't find a bin I like I'll eventually just line the basket with treated particle board.

I did look at the Thule hitch-mount cargo carrier solutions; they were way more expensive ($500-$600+ and I wouldn't want to use them for hauling dirt/gravel/etc plus they aren't as versatile (don't think I could use them for log piles, potted plants, etc...).

I also put the following aftermarket tow-package equipment on my '11 'Nox 1LT:

Curt Manufacturing 13591 Class III Receiver
$116 on Amazon with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GQ6LF6/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Curt Manufacturing D-534 2 In Drop Loaded Ball Mount W/ 2 In Ball
$23 on Amazon with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-D-534-Loaded-Mount/dp/B001EOV492/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_c

Curt Manufacturing 56094 T-Connector
With this kit you can hook up trailer lights, and you don't have to splice wires (it plugs into the tail lights).
$20 on Amazon with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...ve&Make=Chevrolet|47&Year=2010|2010&carId=005

Attachments

• BG.jpg
    BG.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Hey Don welcome to the site. I love all the info you provided. Thanks for doing that. :cheers:

Did your equinox come with the 1" receiver? I am thinking about converting mine out as long as its not welded in place.,

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Cool
Thanks for posting that.
I might have to look into getting that setup for my Terrain.

Equinox78

Reaction score
Hey Don welcome to the site. I love all the info you provided. Thanks for doing that. :cheers:

Did your equinox come with the 1" receiver? I am thinking about converting mine out as long as its not welded in place.,

Nope, it came with nothing! Receivers weren't even listed under available accessories because I have the 4 cylinder: maybe they don't want to encourage towing with the 2.4L engine though it is rated for it. I'll have to be mindful not to exceed any rated capacities (shouldn't be an issue unless I rent or borrow a trailer at some point). So I had to get an aftermarket Curt hitch receiver and a wiring harness (I put the details in the original post if you're interested). It is a class III 2" hitch receiver, (note that the carrier basket I spec'd requires a 2"). The reciever is held up by 6 bolts/spring washers that screw directly onto the 2011 Equinox frame. I was able to do all of that by myself without raising the vehicle (I used two jack stands to hold up the receiver to the vehicle, which made it much easier). If you have the 1-1/4" receiver you could always get an adapter to get it up to 2" I think (just be careful not to exceed the ratings of the 1-1/4" receiver).

Equinox78

Reaction score

Here's a 1-1/4" to 2" adapter that might work for you, unless you want more towing capacity than your 1-1/4" provides. Under $20 and eligible for free shipping from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-D-185-Adaptable-Extender/dp/B00077ZDWQ

Equinox78

Reaction score
Thanks Don. Yeah I think that the 2LT's even including the 2.4's came with the 1-1/4 receivers.

You're right, none of the 1LT variants have the tow package available and all of the 2LT's do. I have no idea why the 1LT doesn't even have it as an option!

The 1LT came with threaded mounting holes in the frame, which made installing the aftermarket hitch receiver a breeze.

G-Man

Reaction score
To tell you how long GM has used the (I guess) Theta platform. We just got rid of our 2005 Saturn VUE, 3.5L V6 and I had installed the Curt 13591 hitch. I was not going to let the hitch go, even if I sold it for scrape. Guess what? This hitch is the exact same part number and hitch for our nee 2013 LTZ V6 Nox. Thank you GM.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
To tell you how long GM has used the (I guess) Theta platform. We just got rid of our 2005 Saturn VUE, 3.5L V6 and I had installed the Curt 13591 hitch. I was not going to let the hitch go, even if I sold it for scrape. Guess what? This hitch is the exact same part number and hitch for our nee 2013 LTZ V6 Nox. Thank you GM.

If that's for real, I need to take the hitch off of my 06 Vue and put it on my Nox!

Members online

No members online now.