Burning oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PerkM530

Reaction score
We have a 2012 Equinox with a little over 100,000 miles. My wife always has always had her oil changed at a national store. She recently told me the tech had her sign a waver because the engine was dangerously low on oil. This happened twice as I started to talk to local mechanics who said it may be due to low viscosity oil. I started to change the oil myself with no change. I just added 3 quarts of oil after just 3000 miles. When I called a Chevy dealer I was told this was normal.
Another friend mentioned that he has heard of this and there my be a recall out there.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a practical fix or should I get rid of the vehicle? We will take a lose to get rid of is so I hope we can correct the issue.

Thank you
Mark

Maris2277

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. Not great with cars but I had to bring it in every 1000 miles for them to monitor. Turns out it was burning the oil about a quart every thousand. They did a recall of some part (sorry again bad with cars) and low and behold having the same issue. They told me bring it in every thousand again before they will repair AGAIN. thwy should honor this for you. My friends actually blew up bc she didn't know about the recall

Cliff

Reaction score
While it was not mentioned if the motor is the 2.4, the main reason that the oil burning starts on them is that the PCV port is located internally between cylinders 2 & 3 and gets clogged. The intake manifold has to be removed and the port cleaned out with something like 1/16" drill bit. If this is not done, shortly after that seals blow and other issues happen. Especially in cold weather. When one first notices major oil consumption, do the following to see if you need to get the PCV port cleaned.

There is a TSB out on this. At first sign of high oil consumption, check at the valve cover clean side PCV port (the one that goes to the air intake plenum) to see if it is sucking air as it should or pushing air showing a clogged internal PCV port. After pulling the hose off the valve cover port, start motor and place a piece of paper up against the port. If it holds in place, things are fine. If it pushes it away, then internal PCV port is likely clogged.

Also, it is wise to have a check valve oil fill cap on the motor to relieve pressure if the internal PCV becomes clogged. Get a AC Delco FC219 oil fill cap and put it on in place of the stock one. It has a check valve in the cap to release pressure if needed. Under $20 thru several outlets.

Members online