Block heater question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Webpirate

Reaction score
Hey,
We picked up a 2012 equinox in November. Everything was fine until I realized the block heater wasn't working.

I determined that the actual block heater was dead by bypassing the thermostat end of the plug and using a non thermostat plug and a kill-awatt meter, which is a device you plug into the wall and then you plug anything into that device to monitor the power draw. So I ordered a new one and installed it. Its almost impossible to install from the top of engine with exhaust manifold there but i managed to get it installed with a borescope camera guiding me.

Fast forward to - 31c outside and i want to see how the block heater is performing. I put my obd2 reader on the car and read the Coolant temp and its the same as the ambient temperature. I thought maybe the blockheater burnt out again so i grab the kill a watt meter and see that its drawing 300watts as it should.

So now im trying to determine if there's any point to plugging in the block heater.

Does anyone else have an OBD reader that can check the Coolant temperature after its been plugged in for a while?

Staff online

Members online