Backup camera stuck on display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amancini

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out. I got in my car to leave work, backed out of my spot and got about 2 min down the road when I noticed the display was black and had the “check surroundings for safety” message as if it was in reverse. Funny enough, when my car is in park the reverse camera kicks in. In any other setting (drive, neutral or manual) it goes back to a black screen and says “check surroundings......”.

Any suggestions?

kastner03

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out. I got in my car to leave work, backed out of my spot and got about 2 min down the road when I noticed the display was black and had the “check surroundings for safety” message as if it was in reverse. Funny enough, when my car is in park the reverse camera kicks in. In any other setting (drive, neutral or manual) it goes back to a black screen and says “check surroundings......”.

Any suggestions?

what year is it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kastner03

Reaction score
what year is it ?

check ur reverse lights
when i first got my 2018 i tried some led backup lights and it did that for some reason it needs to see resistance from either a halogen bulb or leds with resistors built in. the equinox doesn’t have a bulb out indicator but this is supposedly part of the system that onstar uses to notify you of a bulb is burned out via email (if you have a subscription)

caddy96sts

Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate on this situation? I installed Diode Dynamics LED backup lights, the same units used flawelessly on two other vehicles. On the 2018 Equinox, my backup camera is now on all the time (switching to front camera when in drive).

Thanks in advance!

nightingale7

Reaction score
check ur reverse lights
when i first got my 2018 i tried some led backup lights and it did that for some reason it needs to see resistance from either a halogen bulb or leds with resistors built in. the equinox doesn’t have a bulb out indicator but this is supposedly part of the system that onstar uses to notify you of a bulb is burned out via email (if you have a subscription)

Thank you for this! I know this is an old thread, but we just purchased a 2019 Equinox and my husband replaced the reverse lights with led bulbs, and now he is having this exact issue. It was a relief to know it is something easy to fix, although taking off the trim pieces in the hatch to access those lights again will be a PITA. It is so weird that replacing those lights causes this issue.

ricklack

Reaction score
Always be sure to use CANBUS LED bulbs when upgrading. They have built in resistors to mimic the load that regular bulbs report to the BCM.

Members online