AWD button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanielObi

Reaction score
So far, I am so loving this AWD button, and i hope all cars have this feature, gets you the option to save fuel, or get good traction on wet or snow filled roads.
I do have a minor concern, I cant find a straight answer anywhere regarding my concern, not even the owner’s manual, because i want to take care of my new car and I dont want to do anything stupid to ruin it. So the question is..
To engage/disengage the AWD button, do I have to stop all the time like I always do? Or Can I just press it whenever necessary? Even at Interstate speeds? Or do I have to drive a certain speed to activate/deactivate it? What’s the rule of thumb without damaging my differential?

Because so far I play it safe and come to a full stop before pressing the AWD button.

Thanks guys, as always!

ricklack

Reaction score
I press mine whenever I think of it - even at highway speeds. No problems so far with 48,000km

spaycace

Reaction score
If you were required to actually stop to engage the AWD, I’m sure it would be stated in the owners manual, as the manufacturer doesn’t want the legal liability of not making it clear that stopping is required. When driving in snow, if you start to lose traction, the last thing you want to do is come to a complete stop and lose all your forward momentum. I activate my AWD system at any driving speed if I feel like I need the added traction, for example, when driving up into the mountains, and the snow starts sticking to the road, I turn on the AWD without slowing down.

markgws6

Reaction score
Actually, the engine must be running to completely engage the AWD system. If you press the button when the engine is in auto-stop or not started, you may notice the button flashes until the engine starts again. I've engaged mine at a stop and when driving and it's worked every time. It's a great feature and is a must on our tuned 2.0 nox. I have easily "smoked" the fronts on newish tires even in the dry when I turned it off and I forget to press it again. lol

Spartanfool

Reaction score
I just took delivery on my 2023 last month, and my sales guy specifically told me it is designed to engage at any speed. He said you can throw it in AWD at any time, even over 80mph.

57chevythunder

Reaction score
I just took delivery on my 2023 last month, and my sales guy specifically told me it is designed to engage at any speed. He said you can throw it in AWD at any time, even over 80mph.
Hello, just to comment on the OP question, Yes it is designed to be engaged or disengaged at any speed. (I have a 2019, and have also somewhat studied the 2018 service manual, which seems to have the identical power train as the 2019). Having researched a bit on this AWD system, (some components are actually of British engineering,,,) Anyway, both the driveshaft and the rear axle half-shafts are "clutch actuated."

BTW, here is something that may help some owners: The cute little rear differential uses the very common standard Dexron LS Hypoid Fluid (GM#88862624) but here is the odd-ball !! The "Differential Clutch Oil" is really "off-the-wall." It is "Pentosin CH-11S, supposedly GM#88901975. That "differential clutch" , which could be mistakenly assumed to be lubricated from the the differential fluid IS NOT. -it lives in its own world, with own special fluid. The reason I know about this is that when our 2019 was almost still new, I started noticing a small oily wet spot on the floor where we parked it. After putting some paper under the car, I discovered the oily spot had a light green color to it. Anyway, I discovered it had a very slow leak at the differential clutch drain plug, and the fluid level was about 50% low. I had no luck finding that fluid here at our local GM dealers, so I placed an internet order. And sure enough, after having received the genuine "Pentosin CH-11S" and opening the can, it is certainly GREEN in color.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I just wanted to share what I have learned about our AWD.
I totally love the design, as when it is de-activated there is no power loss in the system, as the driveshaft isn't even turning.

JackT

Reaction score
Yes it is designed to be engaged or disengaged at any speed. Both the driveshaft and the rear axle half-shafts are "clutch actuated." When it is de-activated there is no power loss in the system, as the driveshaft isn't even turning.
Thank you! I've spent hours trying to find out how it works. I needed to know HOW the AWD works on these. I joined the forum in the hopes that I could find the answer to this, or ask, and it appears I lucked out. I do have a question though. With AWD on, do the shafts spin all the time or only when needed?

Thanks!

PS: I've been deciding between the Equinox and Ford Edge because I cannot get the surround view camera on the Ford Edge Titanium and I can the Equinox Premium. While the Ford AWD seems to be much more sophisticated, the AWD on the Equinox looks to be competent enough for my purposes. AWD, even in Michigan winters, is seldom necessary. Even FWD and all-season tires are good enough unless you can't depend on them plowing the roads where you travel or you have icy hills that you travel. A surround view camera and front camera are useful all the time. You can't see out of today's SUVs like you used to. Today, you NEED blind spot traffic detectors because you can't check it by glancing over anymore due to additional structure to provide roll-over strengthening and airbags everywhere. Today, a competent camera system is required to keep the paint on your bumpers, from parking too far back, and park adequately centered.

57chevythunder

Reaction score
RE: "I do have a question though. With AWD on, do the shafts spin all the time or only when needed?" -per Jack T, above-

Yes, with the AWD light on, the clutches are engaged and the rear drive shaft is turning. -and there will, of course, be some small amount of additional power used in the drivetrain.

BTW, here is a little hint that some folks may find helpful: To avoid "accidental engagement" of the AWD button I cut out a small piece of 1/8" plexiglass, shaped to nicely cover the button. And lacking any better idea for now, I simply used a piece of clear packaging tape to form a hinge on the bottom edge of the cover. -works like a charm, and doesn't even look too bad. Before that we found that it was getting engaged without being noticed. (I guess when reaching in and out of that little cubby hole in front of it.)

JackT

Reaction score
Yes, with the AWD light on, the clutches are engaged and the rear drive shaft is turning. -and there will, of course, be some small amount of additional power used in the drivetrain.

BTW, here is a little hint that some folks may find helpful: To avoid "accidental engagement" of the AWD button...
Thanks for the reply and useful tip.

NXR71

Reaction score
Per Wikipedia, which I've also read elsewhere: The third-generation Equinox also introduced a new AWD system from GKN Driveline, which allows the driver to disengage the driveshaft to reduce friction and rotational inertia during the times when AWD is not needed.

This thread sounds authoritative to me but I really don't know: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/3rd-gen-equinox-awd-questions.312914/#post-5170694

This thread claims the 2018+ Equinox AWD system is a mix of American Axle in the front and GKN in the rear: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/gkn-awd-vs-the-haldex-in-my-chevy-equinox.304577/

Anybody have any thoughts? I just know how to push the button. :) It only makes 1 MPG difference between on and off so I just leave AWD on.

And yes, I have the 360-degree Surround Vision system on my 2020. I bought the car used and I never would have paid for that system. But, like a heated steering wheel, I think all of my future cars will need to have it. It's very useful for parking in tight spots if nothing else.

JackT

Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts? I just know how to push the button. :) It only makes 1 MPG difference between on and off so I just leave AWD on.

And yes, I have the 360-degree Surround Vision system on my 2020. I bought the car used and I never would have paid for that system. It's very useful for parking in tight spots if nothing else.
I have read the links. The second one clarifies things for me and is more logical than a video I saw on YouTube which claimed the axles stopped. Leaving it on all the time seems to indicate it can be left on continuously if desired. I don't see people pressing the AWD button when they determine they need it because distractions such as pushing the AWD button is not the first thing on their mind when trying to get up a hill or finding their car starting to get bogged down on a not-so-well-plowed street. Pressing the button in spring and fall is probably more realistic. That introduces more wear on the system. Hopefully it's up to that.

I would think the 360-degree Surround Vision system to see how close you are to things while parking, and the automatic parking assist would also be very useful. I have a 2006 Saturn Vue Redline and you can see out of it everywhere. On the new SUVs, they seem to take pride in flaring fenders to blend into pillars so there is no way to ever learn where the front of the car is, and small, aerodynamically slanted mirrors with very limited fields of view don't help.

With all of the roll-over pillars, airbags, and aerodynamic, small, limited view mirrors, today's SUVs are rolling blind spots. Blind-spot monitoring is not optional.

Last edited:

NXR71

Reaction score
Leaving it on all the time seems to indicate it can be left on continuously if desired.
Yup, not like my first 4WD vehicle. That one had automatic locking front hubs. If the front tires started to spin these little "dogs" flew out and engaged the front axle. When you took your foot off the gas the torque from the front axle was removed and the dogs went back in and you were back in RWD.

Otherwise you had to get out and manually lock the front hubs for 4WD and you could not be on dry pavement to avoid driveline windup.

My first winter with it I was on a snowy, slippery interstate and was cruising along. Then I took my foot off the gas, the front hubs unlocked, and the vehicle started sliding. I had to step on the gas to speed up to keep from sliding off the road. That was not a fun time. Educational as heck, but definitely scary.

That's also when I learned that 4WD lets you go great but does not do a darn thing to get you stopped quicker.

JackT

Reaction score
Yup, not like my first 4WD vehicle. That one had automatic locking front hubs. If the front tires started to spin these little "dogs" flew out and engaged the front axle. When you took your foot off the gas the torque from the front axle was removed and the dogs went back in and you were back in RWD. Otherwise you had to get out and manually lock the front hubs for 4WD and you could not be on dry pavement to avoid driveline windup.
In the real 4WD days though the front differential had one less tooth on its ring gear than the rear which causes the front wheels turn faster than the rear. This is great for mobility off-road, but if you left the 4WD engaged on the hardstand, you put a lot of stress on the drive train, and it would wear out a new set of tires in 60 miles.

Smokin Equinox

Reaction score
So far, I am so loving this AWD button, and i hope all cars have this feature, gets you the option to save fuel, or get good traction on wet or snow filled roads.
I do have a minor concern, I cant find a straight answer anywhere regarding my concern, not even the owner’s manual, because i want to take care of my new car and I dont want to do anything stupid to ruin it. So the question is..
To engage/disengage the AWD button, do I have to stop all the time like I always do? Or Can I just press it whenever necessary? Even at Interstate speeds? Or do I have to drive a certain speed to activate/deactivate it? What’s the rule of thumb without damaging my differential?

Because so far I play it safe and come to a full stop before pressing the AWD button.

Thanks guys, as always!
At anytime up to 55mph.....maybe higher. I need to check owners manual.
No STOP needed

ricklack

Reaction score
I have gotten notices on the DIC suggesting to turn on the AWD when it senses slippery conditions, a useful reminder as i shut mine off.

My thought on leaving it on all the time, is that it is probably causing more wear than if it was off. My 2013 Nox was full time AWD and the transfer case destroyed itself - granted that was at @ 320,000km or so. But I figure if I can turn it off it may help it last longer.

I appreciate the button cover info- I too have found that it gets accidently turned on. I usually realize it's on when the gas mileage drops. It is significant enough that I notice.

360 HD Surround Cameras were not on my "must have" list either, but since I bought the car during the pandemic I didn't have a lot of choice. I had selected a more basic model that would arrive in 2 months, but couldn't wait as my 2013 Nox front differential decided it was done. The dealer was getting the one I bought the next day and no one had reserved it. I am so freakin happy I was forced into ponying up a few grand for all the safety and comfort features. I am also inclined to think all of these are now "must haves" going forward. Sometimes it is good to spoil yourself .......

NXR71

Reaction score
My 2013 Nox was full time AWD and the transfer case destroyed itself - granted that was at @ 320,000km or so. But I figure if I can turn it off it may help it last longer.

If that is the reason for your concern the 2013 had an entirely different AWD system than a 2018+ does. You may be comparing apples to baseballs. :)

ricklack

Reaction score
If that is the reason for your concern the 2013 had an entirely different AWD system than a 2018+ does. You may be comparing apples to baseballs. :)
As a general theory it is sound as it applies to any mechanical item - less wear with less use. But how about them Phillies!?!

Members online

No members online now.