Auto-start-stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spaycace

Reaction score
You can actually thank the government and the EPA for the auto stop/start feature, as it’s not a “GM” thing. As for the ability to disable the “feature” in GM vehicles, I’d agree that ALL vehicles should give the customer a choice as to whether or not they want it activated or not. My ‘19 Silverado had a defeat button, and it was nice, even though I had to tap it every time the vehicle was started with the “starter” button (so not much less hassle than the workaround). At least there are worthy aftermarket options available now.

18premier

Reaction score
Hey, reviving an old post but out of curiosity how often does start/stop actually engage? I’ve never seen mine engage… bought the car second hand. Never really cared until I replaced the battery—thought it didn’t work before because battery was old.

John H.

Reaction score
OK! So I returned the first one I got from Walmart and purchased the one from Amazon for $20. They look the same so I wasn’t too optimistic…..but it works! Drove it today quite a bit, no CEL and doesn’t shut the engine off. I wish I would have bought this when my wife was driving the car to help the longevity of the starter for the last 3 years. But I can confirm this works on my 2019.
Thanks for the update!

57chevythunder

Reaction score
Okay, risking getting chided for commenting on a thread that started about 6 months ago, I really have to ask this question: Why doesn't everyone just use the transmission console shift lever "L-6" position, not the "D"? It works perfectly that way on our 2019. For both the wife and I, it has become totally second nature to just never use the "D" position. Instead put it in "L" and tap the "+" button on the top of the shift lever five times to put into "L6" as noted on the instrument panel, and you now have a fully automatic six speed, every day, all day long.

I am also one of those that absolutely refuses to accept the auto stop/start, for many reasons.

John H.

Reaction score
Okay, risking getting chided for commenting on a thread that started about 6 months ago, I really have to ask this question: Why doesn't everyone just use the transmission console shift lever "L-6" position, not the "D"? It works perfectly that way on our 2019. For both the wife and I, it has become totally second nature to just never use the "D" position. Instead put it in "L" and tap the "+" button on the top of the shift lever five times to put into "L6" as noted on the instrument panel, and you now have a fully automatic six speed, every day, all day long.

I am also one of those that absolutely refuses to accept the auto stop/start, for many reasons.
Thank you for the work around!

57chevythunder

Reaction score
You are certainly welcome John H.

From I've read, apparently it was the 2018 thru 2021 model years that lacked the disable switch. -which makes me curious about the 22 and 23 model years. I assume that a the disable button has to be pressed each time the vehicle is started? -which is still more convenient that using the "L" position, or having to install an aftermarket feature defeat kit. -although I'm glad those kits are available.

ricklack

Reaction score
You are certainly welcome John H.

From I've read, apparently it was the 2018 thru 2021 model years that lacked the disable switch. -which makes me curious about the 22 and 23 model years. I assume that a the disable button has to be pressed each time the vehicle is started? -which is still more convenient that using the "L" position, or having to install an aftermarket feature defeat kit. -although I'm glad those kits are available.
You are correct, you must push the button on the dash to turn off auto-stop each time you start the car.

My driving is mostly highway so it doesn't bother me that much - I turn it off when I am in traffic, if I forgot to turn it off earlier.

TopHat

Reaction score
Try this:

Personally, it is a feature that I like and saves fuel, which is one reason I urged my daughter to buy the vehicle. If you are the gun and run guy, you should have bought a different vehicle. But that's me.

RacerCool

Reaction score

I've been doing the same thing on my 2018. I love not having that auto stop.

Brennb

Reaction score

I used this method on my 18 for a year after replacing my battery. I was concerned about wearing out the shift switch, next. I bought a harness on Amazon. Truely, a $20 plug and play solution.

Colin Lister

Reaction score
Auto off. User the 'Demister full' button and turn the air con off. (reduce the fan speed if you want) No more Auto Off!

Colin Lister

Reaction score
Just purchased and installed. $20 on Amazon, 2018 Equinox, Large Plug. No issues whatsoever!!! No codes, remote start (which I use every day) works just as before.
Less than 10 minutes to install (including taking it out of the package, going to the tool box to get a small flathead screwdriver to help unlatch the plug, tie-wrapping in place, putting the screwdriver away!)
The auto stop is the most ridiculously annoying feature GM has EVER added to a vehicle with no way to manually disable it.
(Before installing the eliminator - pull into the garage, the engine stops, put it in park, the engines starts, shut the engine off!)
Turn the front 'demister full' button on and the aircon off. (reduce the fan speed if required) and no more Auto Off!

Members online

No members online now.