Auto-start-stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kskruser

Reaction score
Hi all...

Have any of you tried any of the "auto-stop-start eliminators" that are out there?

Even though my 22 'nox has a button to TENPORARILY turn off this 'feature', I still find it really annoying (I understand that some earlier models didn't have the button at all). Even if you use the button, auto-stop-start will be 'automatically' re-enabled next time you start the engine. I can never remember to use the button, and before you know it I'll be stopped at an intersection with the engine off. Blast!

I'm particularly interested in this: If you've disabled auto-stop-start, (1) How have you done it, and (2) Have you found that the 'fix' interferes with any other function?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

-Richard

sinbad

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd Equinox, having leased a 2015, 2018 and now after bailing out of my Bolt lease am in a 2022 Equinox. I really don't understand why people get so annoyed by the Stop Start option. It never bothered me and in fact after a month in the '22 I have only used once just to try. It is a non-issue for me.

JBR

Reaction score
Hi all...

Have any of you tried any of the "auto-stop-start eliminators" that are out there?

Even though my 22 'nox has a button to TENPORARILY turn off this 'feature', I still find it really annoying (I understand that some earlier models didn't have the button at all). Even if you use the button, auto-stop-start will be 'automatically' re-enabled next time you start the engine. I can never remember to use the button, and before you know it I'll be stopped at an intersection with the engine off. Blast!

I'm particularly interested in this: If you've disabled auto-stop-start, (1) How have you done it, and (2) Have you found that the 'fix' interferes with any other function?

-Richard
I have used the eliminator I purchased from Amazon for about six months. It takes less than five minutes to install. It has worked flawlessly and has not interfered with any other function. Mt Equinox is a 2021 and it does not have the disable button.

rfernald

Reaction score
Hi all...

-Richard
I have it... took all of five minutes to install and works flawlessly. Got it on Amazon

John H.

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd Equinox, having leased a 2015, 2018 and now after bailing out of my Bolt lease am in a 2022 Equinox. I really don't understand why people get so annoyed by the Stop Start option. It never bothered me and in fact after a month in the '22 I have only used once just to try. It is a non-issue for me.
Apparently you don't live in an area with bumper to bumper traffic. Multiple stop starts every couple of minutes cannot be good for a starter or battery / subsystems. The problem would be of more concern for those of us that buy our cars and intend to keep them for years.

spaycace

Reaction score
I haven't tried on my Nox, but in the Cruze, if you put the car in "manual shift mode" and leave the gear selected to the highest gear, the auto-stop doesn't work. If that doesn't work for the Nox, just lift your foot off the brake pedal long enough to re-start the engine ... and if you don't get up to a speed over 5 or 8 mph (can't remember which) the auto-stop won't re-enable again until after you get above whichever speed is programmed for the feature. I'm like other people though, and don't have the problem with it like others. And yes, I've been in rush hour/bumper-to-bumper/stop-and-go traffic many times. I just either "feather" my stopping (I've learned how to come to a stop and keep the feature from engaging) or I simply take my foot off the brake enough to make the engine come on again. I would think people in regular stop and go would love the fuel savings of it!

John H.

Reaction score

John H.

Reaction score
I guess you don't keep your cars too long or you don't mind paying more for the car company to bring down their fleet average 0.003%. It ads another (poorly manufactured I might add) battery and whole charging subsystem as well as adding stress to your whole starting system for no reason. I guess if you lease or trade regularly, you obviously don't care abut the long term affects. Since I tend to keep my cars 10-15 years, its a problem for me. I also live in an area where it shuts off ( I have driven vehicles with it) a lot at long lights. I worry about restarting at the light change since it shuts off at most lights. I wouldn't buy a vehicle with it, Our newest car is a Mustang 2021 with NO stop start feature. Our other 2 cars do not have it either.

John H.

Reaction score
I haven't tried on my Nox, but in the Cruze, if you put the car in "manual shift mode" and leave the gear selected to the highest gear, the auto-stop doesn't work. If that doesn't work for the Nox, just lift your foot off the brake pedal long enough to re-start the engine ... and if you don't get up to a speed over 5 or 8 mph (can't remember which) the auto-stop won't re-enable again until after you get above whichever speed is programmed for the feature. I'm like other people though, and don't have the problem with it like others. And yes, I've been in rush hour/bumper-to-bumper/stop-and-go traffic many times. I just either "feather" my stopping (I've learned how to come to a stop and keep the feature from engaging) or I simply take my foot off the brake enough to make the engine come on again. I would think people in regular stop and go would love the fuel savings of it!
Why would you want a Car that makes you do all that?

spaycace

Reaction score
Why would you want a Car that makes you do all that?
My choice would be to have a manual transmission in everything! My 6-speed G8 GXP avoided the dreaded AFM. My ‘18 Cruze diesel 6-speed doesn’t have AS/S. My ‘19 Equinox diesel has AS/S and I defeat it by using L and putting it in 6th gear. It really doesn’t bother me that much, but if it did, I’d probably purchase one of the Amazon linked defeat devices.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but was curious to know if anyone has tried to unplug the connector under the hood for the start/stop. I saw a video where the guy just leaves it unplugged but I wasn’t sure if would throw a code. Figured I would maybe try it and worse case scenario I can just plug it back in. Thoughts?

rfernald

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but was curious to know if anyone has tried to unplug the connector under the hood for the start/stop. I saw a video where the guy just leaves it unplugged but I wasn’t sure if would throw a code. Figured I would maybe try it and worse case scenario I can just plug it back in. Thoughts?
I'd be interested to hear what unplugging it would do. Try it and report back please.

wns808

Reaction score
I’ve used the factory auto start/stop switch on my dash in my ‘22 LT as well as whenever I drive the wife’s ‘22 Enclave. Yeah it’s an extra step each time the car is started, but I don’t mind using the dash switch

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I’ve used the factory auto start/stop switch on my dash in my ‘22 LT as well as whenever I drive the wife’s ‘22 Enclave. Yeah it’s an extra step each time the car is started, but I don’t mind using the dash switch
Yeah my wife’s 22 has the button. I took over her old 19 with no button

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
OK so I tried it I unplugged it and I tried to remote start the car and it wouldn’t start so there goes that lol

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I found one of the eliminator devices on Walmart. Was $9.17 shipped. Received it today and it does not work. Sending back to Walmart and trying the amazon one for $19.99. I notice there is 1 brand that has a small box in the middle of the cable and then there are these other ones that look like just wires covered in loom with connectors. Hoping the amazon one works.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
OK! So I returned the first one I got from Walmart and purchased the one from Amazon for $20. They look the same so I wasn’t too optimistic…..but it works! Drove it today quite a bit, no CEL and doesn’t shut the engine off. I wish I would have bought this when my wife was driving the car to help the longevity of the starter for the last 3 years. But I can confirm this works on my 2019.

wootler

Reaction score
Just purchased and installed. $20 on Amazon, 2018 Equinox, Large Plug. No issues whatsoever!!! No codes, remote start (which I use every day) works just as before.
Less than 10 minutes to install (including taking it out of the package, going to the tool box to get a small flathead screwdriver to help unlatch the plug, tie-wrapping in place, putting the screwdriver away!)
The auto stop is the most ridiculously annoying feature GM has EVER added to a vehicle with no way to manually disable it.
(Before installing the eliminator - pull into the garage, the engine stops, put it in park, the engines starts, shut the engine off!)

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Just purchased and installed. $20 on Amazon, 2018 Equinox, Large Plug. No issues whatsoever!!! No codes, remote start (which I use every day) works just as before.
Less than 10 minutes to install (including taking it out of the package, going to the tool box to get a small flathead screwdriver to help unlatch the plug, tie-wrapping in place, putting the screwdriver away!)
The auto stop is the most ridiculously annoying feature GM has EVER added to a vehicle with no way to manually disable it.
(Before installing the eliminator - pull into the garage, the engine stops, put it in park, the engines starts, shut the engine off!)
I agree. To not have a button to turn it off it stupid. I thought it would have been a better option to choose when to turn it off and have an automatic brake hold then you tap the gas and have it start up and release the brake

Members online

No members online now.