Auto-start-stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John H.

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd Equinox, having leased a 2015, 2018 and now after bailing out of my Bolt lease am in a 2022 Equinox. I really don't understand why people get so annoyed by the Stop Start option. It never bothered me and in fact after a month in the '22 I have only used once just to try. It is a non-issue for me.
Then you are one of the very few.

Colin Lister

Reaction score
I actually like it and usually let it do its thing.
Maybe not so much in some local situations where just short trips to shops or beach may require several possible stops.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I actually like it and usually let it do its thing.
Maybe not so much in some local situations where just short trips to shops or beach may require several possible stops.
That’s the issue for me. It turns off at not good times. I don’t need it to shut off at a stop sign. Long lights, bumper to bumper maybe. If you had the ability to choose when to shut it down maybe more people wouldn’t complain about it.

Colin Lister

Reaction score
That’s the issue for me. It turns off at not good times. I don’t need it to shut off at a stop sign. Long lights, bumper to bumper maybe. If you had the ability to choose when to shut it down maybe more people wouldn’t complain about it.
I found by just turning on the 'defroster full' button disables the Auto Off function.
It stays on even when the car is restarted.
Using the L shift option has to be redone every time the car is restarted. (ands really that's annoying)

57chevythunder

Reaction score
Then you are one of the very few.
I will share exactly what my main frustration is with the auto stop/start system: Everyone should know that no system or component parts will last forever. With this particular system, just like all others, there is an average number of expected operational cycles before failure. So by utilizing this feature, the starter and battery is "cycled" many times more often than without it. I have worked in the automotive service and repair industry, and have experienced this fact first hand. So, I choose to not wear out and replace parts more often than necessary.

BTW the 2022 has a "disable switch." Those of us with 2021 and earlier model years do not have that convenience.

SteveK

Reaction score
2019 Premier has a tow/haul switch which disables the auto stop, so says the manual. Tried it today and the engine still stops. So much for the owner manual.

Last edited:

57chevythunder

Reaction score
Okay, so I finally purchased and installed the Auto Stop Start Eliminator from Amazon (under $20 including shipping and tax) for our 2019 Equinox. And just as others have reported, it works absolutely perfectly.

If you examine each of the connectors closely, you will find that there are very small position alignment keys, so that you will install each connector plug/socket correctly. And when installed correctly it does not set any codes or cause any other issues.

I absolutely could not resist “taking a peek inside” of the Amazon cable device, which looks like nothing more than a short cable with connectors to install at the hood latch. With a new blade in my Exacto knife, I very carefully slit the electrical tape around the “split loom tubing,” and removed it from the 3-wire assembly. Ah Ha!! There is a small resistor involved along with re-wiring on two of the three wires. After sketching out the schematic, and then studying the hood latch switch circuit in the GM factory service manual, I discovered the “engineering brilliance” of this device. And I now see how they made it work with setting any codes or causing any other issues. It would probably take me several pages to attempt to describe, but I will just say that it involves tricking the “resistance ladder” of the hood latch circuit. I would LOVE to know if anyone knows who the “inventor” of this device. It is Absolute brilliant.

Oshkash

Reaction score
Do you know if the part from Amazon will mess with the warranty of the vehicle? We have a 2024 was wondering.
Thank you

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Do you know if the part from Amazon will mess with the warranty of the vehicle? We have a 2024 was wondering.
Thank you
No it’s plug and play. If you ever have an issue you can just unplug it’s back to the way it was

57chevythunder

Reaction score
good question, and good reply. Some day when I'm at my dealership, I'll have to discuss it with them. Luckily I have known the service dept manager and several of their staff pretty well for many years through many vehicles. So I feel totally safe in discussing it with them.
And of course just as AmmoJoe indicates, the most bullet-proof move (pun intended) would be to just remove the little device, put it in your pocket, and reconnect the hood latch wiring plug/jack back the way it was originally. -which is probably what I'd do anyway, just to be safe.
(many of us have heard of warranty claims running amok,,, so why take the chance.)
Hey "Thanks Guys"

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I’ve never found by using a/c or heater has stoped the annoying start/stop function.
I think it has something to do with the speed of the blower. If you have it on too low it will still cut off when stopped. You may also notice a difference in the air temperature blowing out when it shuts off. Once it kicks back on it goes back to the way it should be working

ricklack

Reaction score
I’ve never found by using a/c or heater has stoped the annoying start/stop function.
Maybe it depends on the year? In the summer, when my AC compressor kicks in the auto stop restarts the engine, if the auto stop had shut it down.

Also, when it is very cold, the auto stop will not shut the engine off, nor if very hot and AC is running.

Abrat

Reaction score
I have used the eliminator I purchased from Amazon for about six months. It takes less than five minutes to install. It has worked flawlessly and has not interfered with any other function. Mt Equinox is a 2021 and it does not have the disable button.
Is this what you bought for the 2021 Equinox from Amazon?

Auto Start Stop Eliminator, Auto Stop Start Disable for Chevy Equinox Malibu Cruze(2019-2023) for Cadillac CT6 XT4 XT5 XT6(2019-2022),Auto Start-Stop Delete/Canceller (Small Plug)​

Members online