Anyone towing a travel trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Equi2

Reaction score
We've got a 2015 Equinox LTZ with the V6 and factory hitch. Owners manual shows a towing capacity of 3500 lbs with a max hitch weight of 400 lbs. Then there is a note that says anything being towed weighing over 1000 lbs requires brakes on the trailer, which means you would need to install an electric brake controller and get a 7 pin connector. There are a couple of travel trailers on the market which fall within these parameters. Just curious if anyone has towed a TT and installed the electric brake controller.

ekim

Reaction score
I'd like to hear too as I'm in the same position...

rcchevy

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox LTZ AWD 3.4l 6 Cylinder engine.
Have been towing a PupUp trailer, about 3200 lbs loaded, for the last 5 yrs. Not a single problem.
YOU MUST HAVE BRAKES ON ANY TOWING OVER 1500 LBS! Equinox cannot safely stop that much weight behind it and the manufacturer is clearly telling you so. Google, year make and model followed by towing capacity and you will find abundant information on this.
An extra precaution would be to install an automatic transmission cooler as I have done. Living in South Florida and it gets really hot in summer plus waiting in traffic jams. You should also change its fluid for Severe Service which is what towing is for this vehicle.
Hope it helps.

Members online