Alternator issue with 2022 with an RVI break installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrol450

Reaction score
I purchased my 22 to use as a daily driver and as a TOAD. (TOAD is a vehicle that is flat towed behind a motorhome for those that don't know the term) I had a base plate installed and an RVI shadow braking system. After driving for a while, the car would break on its own while I was driving. Scary! I ended up calling RVI to see if they could help as I thought Camping World might have installed it wrong. They stated the brake system needs to see a constant 12 volts. The Chevy Equinox alternator fluctuates and if it drops below 10 volts, the brake system thinks it is in tow mode and activates the brake. They said the easiest fix was to remove the inline fuse for the brake system when not towing. That was easy and there were no issues since. Is there a way to actively monitor the output of the alternator? I would assume the life of the battery may be impacted as well.

NXR71

Reaction score
You aren't the first one to have that problem: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/bew...-while-driving-2020-jeep-wrangler-591239.html

If the alternator dropped to 10 volts DC then something is broken. The linked article said 12.7 VDC but even that makes no sense from a technical standpoint. It's a product defect they are not willing to fix.

Don't even think about trying to use the RVi Towed Battery Charger (TBC) to keep the Equinox battery charged while towing. It won't work.

Members online

No members online now.