All wheel drive use questions for 2021 Equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgstarr

Reaction score
Is the Equinox AWD like the 4 WD auto on the Silverado that can be used when you have intermittent slippery roads? Or should it be used on snow packed or Icey roads only. The manual is poorly written and not clear.

Frizbiz

Reaction score
Anytime you feel like you are in slippery conditions, feel free to turn the 4wd on. Otherwise leave it off and save some fuel.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
All Wheel Drive means exactly what it states; all wheels are driven, full time. You can't turn it off.

mechanicbudd

Reaction score
The 2021 Chevy Equinox is an all-wheel-drive vehicle that has the ability to turn off the all-wheel-drive function at the driver's discretion. The all-wheel-drive mode can be left on all the time if you choose however you will get better gas mileage out of your vehicle if you keep it in two-wheel-drive on nice days.

Reaction score
Most now have Traction Control which helps in moderate road compromising parameters, however there remains absolutely zero substitution for a good 4 Wheel Drive Unit.

Milham

Reaction score
We have a 2020 Equinox LT and I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with. We have the selector switch on the center console for engaging AWD. Can the you switch from two wheel to AWD while in motion? I've ask several people at the dealership and have gotten different answers. I looked in the manual and can't find the information about switching while in motion. Thanks.

Chevyenginox

Reaction score
It is all wheel drive, not part time 4 wheel drive like a truck, so you can use it in any conditions, it won’t harm the vehicle. I am curious if it’s full time awd when engaged or if it’s like fwd unless slipping is detected and then engages the rear wheels? For the last question in the post above, it can be engaged at speed, it doesn’t matter.

ricklack

Reaction score
I leave my AWD off most of the time but I do turn it on during any sort of slippery conditions, not only winter. I turn it on or off anytime, driving or stopped.

Members online